Locked out of my tool chest

Steve AKA vitessesteve

I have had a stack of Clarkes tool storage cabinets for many years.  Unfortunately during a move into my workshop the base unit fell over. I now can not open the drawers which had been locked shut to keep them safely closed whilst I moved the unit.  I guess something must have moved into the way of the lock mechanism.  The cabinet is double skinned and I can not see any way into the lock mechanism.  Other than taking an angle grinder to the back how can I get the thing open and get at my tools again?spacer.png

Is it the lock?  Can you turn the tumbler to the unlock position?  If so, drill it out - you can probably buy buy a new one to fit, or else drill the front and lid for a padlock.

If it is the draw locking mechanism, then Howard may have the best idea!

John

8 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Is it the lock?  Can you turn the tumbler to the unlock position?  If so, drill it out - you can probably buy buy a new one to fit, or else drill the front and lid for a padlock.

If it is the draw locking mechanism, then Howard may have the best idea!

John

John No lid just drawers.

Howard it's got a lot of heavy tools in it. Had to use engine crane to right it. Wil have another go at trying to rock it about to shake the contents back into the draws and away from the locking mechanism.

Often had this problem with the (overloaded) filing cabinets at work.  The mechanism is a system of levers running from the  lock on the upper draw and tend to jam.  Sometimes the levers run inside the pillars on the front of the cabinet to engage the lower draws.  Removing the lock may not free the lower draws.  If you can get a look at an open cabinet to see what the mech looks like

Try to infuse some WD40 onto the levers - drilling some small holes may help and try to dislodge them with a rubber mallet.  If the levers are damaged they are hard to fix as the cabinet is assembled around them but you may be lucky.

Some cabinets are accessible from underneath  On some there is a long lever/bar that runs along the back inside face but the lever mechanism can be at the bottom. Not saying that is the case with yours.....but if its heavy try leaning it backwards and see if you can see the lever lock

Like all steel office filing cabinets.....they work on the same principle 

On 13/03/2023 at 10:32, Steve AKA vitessesteve said:

I am in.

This morning I tipped the unit towards me and slapped it's back. First time still not able to open up. But second time after a bigger tip and vicorus shake I was able to open up.

Now for a celebration tunnock biscuit and cuppa.

Good job. My laptop buggered up BLUE SCREEN While trying and failing to fix it, it fell on the floor and instantly worked again. Happened a few times after. Drop on floor again allways sorted it.

#The blue screen thing eventually went away STILL USING IT.

Edited by Gt6s

1 hour ago, Gt6s said:

Good job. My laptop buggered up BLUE SCREEN While trying and failing to fix it, it fell on the floor and instantly worked again. Happened a few times after. Drop on floor again allways sorted it.

So now we have 2 methods of dealing with computers that play up, the good old 'switch it off then on again' and now the upgrade alternative 'drop it on the floor'

It's getting a bit complicated for me all this computer maintenance stuff 🙄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rosbif said:

So now we have 2 methods of dealing with computers that play up, the good old 'switch it off then on again' and now the upgrade alternative 'drop it on the floor'

It's getting a bit complicated for me all this computer maintenance stuff 🙄

1 hour ago, Adrianb said:

I’m 63 so so it’s all beyon me so I get my 2 year old grand son to fix it same principle “ Chuck it on Floor”

It's called a Glaswegian screwdriver, big hammer for both. No offence  intended to any Scot, my best mate and best man was one, from Glasgow. Expletives help!

Edited by standardthread

On 16/03/2023 at 16:43, Adrianb said:

I’m 63 so so it’s all beyon me so I get my 2 year old grand son to fix it same principle “ Chuck it on Floor”

I am 63 as well. Drop on floor hit with BFH Big----ing Hammer. WELL KNOWN EFFECTIVE PRESISION ENGINEERING TECHNIQUES. !

Edited by Gt6s
  • Haha 1

On 16/03/2023 at 17:46, standardthread said:

It's called a Glaswegian screwdriver, 

You forgot the Glasgow kiss and the Glasgow smile. Us Bog Trotters have our own versions of the same Ballymena screwdrivers or knocking out of gear going down big hills Ballymena overdrive. The Sandy row special.  A Monk by the neck. (Monk Export ale).

Edited by Gt6s