Best GT6 Mk3 carpet?

sbarc

I'm planning on replacing the sun baked remains of the carpet in my recently acquired car.  This is the original carpet baked in the California sun for 34 years and it is in extremely bad shape.....most of it is in shreds.

I'd like to get the original style of carpet......not some fuzzy modern stuff.

anyone have any idea what the Spitbits deluxe carpet is like?  Is the moulded carpet worth the high premium in price?  Was the original factory carpet moulded?

Anyone bought the Rimmer Bros moulded carpet?

Any input would be much appreciated.

The original factory carpets were moulded.

There is only one source of moulded carpets - Newton Commercial
They are the source that ALL the trade get their MOULDED carpets from, so if you get a moulded carpet from ANY trader it will be a Newton Commercial one.

The material that the modern moulded carpets are made from is not the same as the original carpet material - it is a short fuzzy pile.

For non-moulded carpets, there are a multitude of manufacturers and suppliers.  You pay your money and take your choice, and IMHO none of them are fit for purpose.  

Given the choice, I would use the moulded ones, the fit is so much better.  

I bought a set of Newton's moulded carpets, have yet to fit them (although the tunnel carpet is fitted), I was dissapointed to see that the front footwells are very similar to originals...and still didn't seem to fit easily. The rear deck is extra by the way, can't recall how much it all cost as I got some other bits but it was around £280-£300. Bit dissapointed given the money. If I did it again I think I'd fit some cheaper ones.

KevinR wrote:
The original factory carpets were moulded.

There is only one source of moulded carpets - Newton Commercial
They are the source that ALL the trade get their MOULDED carpets from, so if you get a moulded carpet from ANY trader it will be a Newton Commercial one.

The material that the modern moulded carpets are made from is not the same as the original carpet material - it is a short fuzzy pile.

Fuzzy?!?!?!  That will never do.    :'(  I'm going to have to ponder this.  

Thanks very much for your insight gents.

rotoflex wrote:
Unless it's molded, getting a decent fit over the humps of the inside rear wheel arches is going to be almost impossible.

Would it be possible in theory to mould the carpet using a mould and steam.  I'm just exploring options.  

I really want to make my car as accurate as possible to the day it left the factory.  I'm pondering getting an interior shop to make me a carpet set with the correct carpet........of course getting it to fit around the wheel arches will be tyhe big issue.

Archived