Carpets in ye IV

smithy

I've new carpets (moulded, I've gone all posh) to the Spit. I've got non-moulded carpets as well, which I bought nice and cheap, and I also have underlay, for no reason I can remember.
I don't think the Spit had underlay before. Is it worth putting some in?
Do I glue the beggars in do you think?
Is this non-moulded fit only for Ebay, or is any of it useful?
Help advice and anecdotes greatly appreciated.
Jokes and abuse also welcome; my psychiatrist says I have narcissistic tendencies.

Underlay is good, and helps keep noise levels down quite a bit with a hard top on or the hood up,  but is only worth putting in if you are sure your car is watertight and not going to get any amount of water inside.

Once it's wet, underlay has to come out to dry (not possible if glued in) otherwise it quicky falls to bits and/or acts as a sponge, holding water next to rapidly rusting floors. If you want to use it, maybe glue the vertical sections, leaving the bottom edges free so they can be pulled out slightly to dry if required, and let the carpet hold the other bits in place.

If the car's a garage queen, or only used on hot sunny days, then there's no problem and I'd say use underlay.

Thanks Mike, some sound advice there I'll be taking. Since the car's watertight (*I think*) I'll go with the underlay but I'll leave the bottom edges as you say. The carpet's are black, as preferred, did I mention?  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Pah - underlay makes the carpet more difficult to fit, and isn't helping me bolt in my MX5 seats.
It's not staying in, that's gonna be Ebay'd then.
Should have got some carpet adhesive though, since bits across the door frames won't stay there happily when new, and of course bits at the sides of front footwells are also not happy in defying gravity.Live and learn. Also good to have some contactive adhesive to hand, since bits of vinyl on arm rest, tunnel cover, H-frame and cheeky bits also tend to have bits flapping about which require superglue.
Live and learn!
I shan't be doing this again soon.  

Brendan - where were you when I needed you?  ;D
I might have read Mike's post a little more diligently too.  :B
Here, have a photo. Coming along. I'm having a break to get over the high from the Araldite fumes, yummy.
Before:

Still bl**dy during. (And I wanted to be at Stafford...):

Archived