Smoke Grey and Black mottle carpet

herald948

I did a search but didn't turn up much on the topic. In a few posts a couple years ago, there was reference to this carpet as used in early Vitesse 6 / Sports 6 and some early Spitfire 4. Has anyone found a source for this that's even reasonably close to the original?

Find yourself a Mazda Bongo Friendee people carrier/van (yes it is a real name) and you'll find a very passable modern equivalent - I made some progress tracking down where it came from many years ago but lost my Japanese contact and the trail went cold.

Anyone in the southern hemisphere tried this lot?
http://www.knoxautocarpets.com.au/index.htm

I can't see anything to match that early Vitesse (and 12/50) mottled carpet, but the Charcoal Loop carpet on this page looks very interesting.

A customer with Australian contacts said he was going to try and get a sample, but he's since gone awol... :(

Cheers,
Bill.

Yes, that Charcoal is a nice color match, even if the carpet itself is acrylic. In their "Classic Loop" range, which -- being rayon and nylon -- could be a bit more accurate for some of us, the Gunmetal Grey is a nice color as well, if a bit too bluish.

Jason, any idea what a North American equivalent to that Mazda might be? It doesn't really look quite like anything Mazda sold here!!??

It's not something they ever sold here in the UK either! I think it was JDM and/or Australia - I've seen a few here as grey imports. Ford and Mazda used to share some models. (More than) all you ever wanted to know about the Mazda Bongo http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Bongo and http://www.bongofury.co.uk/

Well you did ask!

There are more than a few grey imports here now.

Cheap, reliable and very versatile camper vans.

You can get one for a fraction of a grossly over priced VW camper, and are better than lots of the van conversions. Also they were designed as a camper to start with.

And if you want one, I know a man with one for sale.

Got slightly tacky skirts and spoilers on it. The Japanese do like pimping their rides.. :-)

Then you too can attend "Bongofest" or whatever it is called.

They have a chat forum as well www.bongoforum.co.uk. It is better than this forum as they not only get to post lots of questions about their cars (vans) but they also get to post about where they are going to camp in their cars as well. That is not something CT offers now is it?? :-)

Cheers

Colin

herald948 wrote:
Yes, that Charcoal is a nice color match, even if the carpet itself is acrylic. In their "Classic Loop" range, which -- being rayon and nylon -- could be a bit more accurate for some of us, the Gunmetal Grey is a nice color as well, if a bit too bluish.

Jason, any idea what a North American equivalent to that Mazda might be? It doesn't really look quite like anything Mazda sold here!!??

It's also sold as the Ford Frida in the US market.  Have a very overcomplex cooling system that leads to HGF and is an absolute horror to fix.  Best avoided IMO.

Nick

heraldcoupe wrote:
Anyone in the southern hemisphere tried this lot?
http://www.knoxautocarpets.com.au/index.htm

I can't see anything to match that early Vitesse (and 12/50) mottled carpet, but the Charcoal Loop carpet on this page looks very interesting.

A customer with Australian contacts said he was going to try and get a sample, but he's since gone awol... :(

Bill, would you like me to get a sample and forward it to you?

Nick_Moore wrote:
Bill, would you like me to get a sample and forward it to you?

Nick,

If you'd do that I'd really appreciate it. They're obviously reluctant to send stuff overseas, if I knew it was a good match, I'd make an effort to acquire some, one way or another. Until I've seen it in the flesh though, I don't want to start jumping through hoops to get a roll,

Cheers,
Bill.

I for one would be extremely keen to get my hands on that carpet if it were an exact or very close match to what was fitted to my cat when new.  If there is a way to recreate the originals, I'd pay well, very well.  I think that the Newton ones are very good, but not right for the early cars.

Mark

Archived