fibreglass bonnet

iomgt6

I once brought one for my spit but it was never going to fit right so I sold it on.

When measuring the width between the rear side panels they splayed outwards 4 inches each side. I would have had to do a lot of bracing to get it anywhere near shape and that’s on top of the normal bonnet braces that were already fitted.

Plus I also depend on who manufactured it in the first place. I have seen some really good fitting bonnets that you would never suspect were GRP but most don’t.

I must have bought the one that you sold Danny!!

Mine took many hours to get it to fit as badly as it does.  Front to rear dimensions are not too bad, but the the wing rear vertical edges needed building up with GRP as they were not even at 90 degrees to the bottoms. They are such that you need large gaps to the front of the doors otherwise they catch when the door opens.  Also, as Danny says, the width at the rear is all wrong and the splay is difficult to control without resorting to additional bracing. It was a nightmare.

I've persisted with mine as it's very light and my old steel one was really rotten.

It looks okay in the dark with your eyes half closed.....

Quoted from sparky_spit-

I must have bought the one that you sold Danny!!

Mine took many hours to get it to fit as badly as it does.  Front to rear dimensions are not too bad, but the the wing rear vertical edges needed building up with GRP as they were not even at 90 degrees to the bottoms. They are such that you need large gaps to the front of the doors otherwise they catch when the door opens.  Also, as Danny says, the width at the rear is all wrong and the splay is difficult to control without resorting to additional bracing. It was a nightmare.

I've persisted with mine as it's very light and my old steel one was really rotten.

It looks okay in the dark with your eyes half closed.....

The one I have on the Sixfire is EXACTLY the same Honeybourne Mouldings took many hours hard work to bring it up to horrible. And a bucket load of filler round the power bulge Obviously the mould taken from a Spitfire bonnet with a Gt6 bulge THROWN ON.

Laurence