Vitesse Mk1 Wheels......

THM345F

By way of introduction I have recently acquired a 1968 Mk1 Vitesse which came with two sets of road wheels.

image.thumb.png.ab21e17695967f6c4cb171e83ced481c.png

Those on the vehicle are wider than standard.  The second set are I believe the originals but I’m not sure.

image.thumb.png.0dba377ae4ef80478d8416988c9a18bd.png

The originals measure 5.5 inches across the rim width, 5.5J ?  The owners manual that came with the car specifies 4.5 inches ?

I’m considering having the originals shot blasted, powder coated and purchasing some slotted wheel trims to add to the current hub caps, which are in pretty good shape, offsetting the cost by selling the wide wheels.

My questions for the Vitesse experts out there are:-

1.      What wheels would the car have been supplied with new in 68?

2.      What colour would the original wheels have been finished in?

3.      What tyre size should I have fitted to the original wheels?

4.      What interest would there be in the current wide wheels and what are their approximate value (including tyres)?

I hope you can help.

David

Hi, same year and colour as mine although I have a saloon. I believe with the wheels you have to measure across its inner lip ie the two surfaces where the tyre seals not the actual full width. Also the sizes should be stamped on the wheel somewhere and the originals would be 4.5J.

The correct tyre size is 155 80 x 13 as indicated in the Triumph workshop manual which is available for free download at vitessesteve.co.uk and is essential....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, glang said:

Hi, same year and colour as mine although I have a saloon. I believe with the wheels you have to measure across its inner lip ie the two surfaces where the tyre seals not the actual full width. Also the sizes should be stamped on the wheel somewhere and the originals would be 4.5J.

The correct tyre size is 155 80 x 13 as indicated in the Triumph workshop manual which is available for free download at vitessesteve.co.uk and is essential....

Thanks!

The fitted wheels are the new 5.5J "smoothie" wheels, indicated by the "pointy" hubcaps. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133555192429

They are about £300 a set new.

If they were the original Dunlop LP923 wheels, they are worth  loads! (probably why these are being reproduced)

Tyres on wheels is tricky. If they are good quality tyres, correct size (I would say 175/70 13 is the correct size on the 5,5 wheels) and not old, they add some value.  In reality, your best bet may be ebay to sell these if you can cope with the occasional idiotic question. I expect they will fetch north of £200, possibly more. Partly depending on location.

On 30/07/2023 at 18:35, THM345F said:

By way of introduction I have recently acquired a 1968 Mk1 Vitesse which came with two sets of road wheels.

image.thumb.png.ab21e17695967f6c4cb171e83ced481c.png

Those on the vehicle are wider than standard.  The second set are I believe the originals but I’m not sure.

image.thumb.png.0dba377ae4ef80478d8416988c9a18bd.png

Answers Adjacent your Queries:- 

The originals measure 5.5 inches across the rim width, 5.5J ?  The owners manual that came with the car specifies 4.5 inches ?

I’m considering having the originals shot blasted, powder coated and purchasing some slotted wheel trims to add to the current hub caps, which are in pretty good shape, offsetting the cost by selling the wide wheels.

1.      What wheels would the car have been supplied with new in 68? - 4.5J x 13" for the Mk1 & Mk2 Vitesse models as standard

2.      What colour would the original wheels have been finished in? - Silver, although I have seen white for early 2 Litre cars 

3.      What tyre size should I have fitted to the original wheels? - Most 2 Litres would have had 155 x 13" Radials (5.90 x 13" Cross-plies for earlier cars)  

4.      What interest would there be in the current wide wheels and what are their approximate value (including tyres)? - The 5.5J Wheels are quite sort after, stick them on E-Bay, you might be pleasantly surprised. 

I hope you can help.

David

Cheers

Gary

Edited by garyf

25 minutes ago, Clive said:

The fitted wheels are the new 5.5J "smoothie" wheels, indicated by the "pointy" hubcaps. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133555192429

They are about £300 a set new.

If they were the original Dunlop LP923 wheels, they are worth  loads! (probably why these are being reproduced)

Tyres on wheels is tricky. If they are good quality tyres, correct size (I would say 175/70 13 is the correct size on the 5,5 wheels) and not old, they add some value.  In reality, your best bet may be ebay to sell these if you can cope with the occasional idiotic question. I expect they will fetch north of £200, possibly more. Partly depending on location.

Thanks...... The current 'wide' wheels fitted to the car have 175/70R13s fitted.

20 hours ago, THM345F said:

1.      What wheels would the car have been supplied with new in 68?

2.      What colour would the original wheels have been finished in?

The original wheels would have been white but with only the edge exposed because they had a chrome trim around the periphery (different types depending on year and model) as well as a smooth chrome hub cap...

To add to the points many years ago i did run Standard profile 175 tyres on 5 and 1/2 inch rims and it was tight and it also depends upon the offsets too. If you wanted to keep it looking reasonably standard i would be tempted with running 165 tyres on 5 1/2 or 175/70 as Clive suggested.... 

If I am not mistaken weren't early Vitesses on cross plys as standard? Not suggesting that you do this.... 

23 minutes ago, glang said:

The original wheels would have been white but with only the edge exposed because they had a chrome trim around the periphery (different types depending on year and model) as well as a smooth chrome hub cap...

I can see that the rectangular slotted trims are readily available:- Triumph Herald Estate Wheel Trim - Triumph Vitesse Wheel Trim x 4 Slotted. | eBay and these appear in the graphic on the front of the owners handbook that came with the car.

It looks though like the hub caps differ?  The pointy ones are specific to the wider wheels and the originals would have had a centre circular depression:-

image.png.acae66465feed8365f746fb71536b312.png

1 hour ago, Martins Stag said:

To add to the points many years ago i did run Standard profile 175 tyres on 5 and 1/2 inch rims and it was tight and it also depends upon the offsets too. If you wanted to keep it looking reasonably standard i would be tempted with running 165 tyres on 5 1/2 or 175/70 as Clive suggested.... 

If I am not mistaken weren't early Vitesses on cross plys as standard? Not suggesting that you do this.... 

Wow standard 80% aspect 175 tyres would be large on diameter and put the speedo reading out by quite a lot! I think David has already got 175/70 on those 5.5J but is trying to decide what to use on the standard 4.5J where 175 would be too wide...

The manual indicates both radials and crossplies for the Vitesse but doesnt specify if there was a changeover date?

And yes the trims/hub caps in Davids post look correct and although reproductions would be very hard to distinguish....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, THM345F said:

It looks though like the hub caps differ?  The pointy ones are specific to the wider wheels and the originals would have had a centre circular depression:-

image.png.acae66465feed8365f746fb71536b312.png

The hubcaps in that picture are the original type.

The pointy type come with the new soothie wheels, and I very much doubt they will fit the original rims.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wheels back from the shot blaster/powder coaters.  Embellishers, new hub caps and a set 155/70R13s fitted....... Looking now like it did when it left the factory a mere 55 years ago.

image.thumb.jpeg.5947e390fd36bb1a61167f0b567d8f3a.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.ff119b684b10deb63608b95c1702cb06.jpeg

I now have a stack of 5.5J wheels, hub caps and part worn tyres to get rid of.  Can anyone confirm the likely value and best way to sell them?