Help! 20 spline 6.5" clutch Spit Mk4?

rog1300

My Mk4 has a 20 spline input shaft from J type overdrive g'box. I ordered a mk4 clutch - but this had 10 splines in clutch plate. I sent it back and was sent a 1500 clutch with 20 splines. That's lovely but it's too big and the clutch cover location holes don't match the flywheel. Can't see any links to a 20 spline 6.5" clutch plate - apart from one reference stating "you can't get these anymore". Erm... any ideas? Top part is current - below one in image is new 1500 clutch. There is an offset of the securing pin hole to flywheel - it's not centered between the securing bolts.

Cheers peeps!

Rog.

clutch 20 spline 6.5 inch.jpg

15 hours ago, rog1300 said:

oh dear expensive! how about a flywheel change? 

There are issues with bolt size, position, etc. etc. I looked and thought of it for my 1300 Dolomite because I have a large centre lathe to do it but those in the know put me off because of potential problems.

I found a couple of driven plates on fleebay marked for a 1300 Dolomite but when they arrived the boxes were labelled for a Marina (can't remember which model), part number GCP 188, and they fit because shortly afterwards the driven plate exploded so I fit one to the car and a Herald clutch cover. The car drove with no issues and now lives with someone else on the south coast. The plate that exploded was a re-con plate!

If your clutch cover is shot then use a Herald cover. Again I fitted one to a short MkIV block with no issues, the car has since driven 40k plus.

13 hours ago, glang said:

They do them here but yes expensive so you could look at getting the exisiting one refurbished. Saying that it looks in pretty good condition so whats the problem?

Clutch Plate Only - GCP244 | Rimmer Bros

The plate seems good actually - but as the rear crank oil seal went it has suffered some oil contamination. The cover unit is the bit giving me a sourcing problem at mo.. although it seems ebay may be the next place to search.

3 minutes ago, standardthread said:

There are issues with bolt size, position, etc. etc. I looked and thought of it for my 1300 Dolomite because I have a large centre lathe to do it but those in the know put me off because of potential problems.

I found a couple of driven plates on fleebay marked for a 1300 Dolomite but when they arrived the boxes were labelled for a Marina (can't remember which model), part number GCP 188, and they fit because shortly afterwards the driven plate exploded so I fit one to the car and a Herald clutch cover. The car drove with no issues and now lives with someone else on the south coast. The plate that exploded was a re-con plate!

If your clutch cover is shot then use a Herald cover. Again I fitted one to a short MkIV block with no issues, the car has since driven 40k plus.

Herald cover - I shall make enquiries. Thank you.

This might be complete nonsense, but in the foggy depths of my brain lurks the thought that a late Morris Minor van plate will fit ok, and that I used one in an early Mk3 Spitfire. I might be wrong of course, but worth checking with someone who knows for sure. I also think that it is the same plate as used in the early BT Marina vans, as the one given to me was a mechanic who worked in a BT garage workshop.

Edited by sparky_spit
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, rog1300 said:

ok - so: keeping my existing clutch plate as it is pretty clean and is not really worn, but changing the cover plate via the helpful souls at Canley classics for a GCC197. Fingers crossed all should be good soon!

Any oil contamination on the driven plate wash it with carbon tetrachloride (if you can get it) or another volatile solvent.

28 minutes ago, standardthread said:

Any oil contamination on the driven plate wash it with carbon tetrachloride (if you can get it) or another volatile solvent.

Brake cleaner is the stuff these days. Carbon tet not been (Easily) available for about 20 years or more!

On 07/08/2023 at 16:40, standardthread said:

On 07/08/2023 at 17:09, Clive said:

Brake cleaner is the stuff these days. Carbon tet not been (Easily) available for about 20 years or more!

yep - given it a good wash down with brake cleaner. :) 

Well the lovely Clare at Canley has sent me the new clutch plate'll (friction disk) but alas! The clutch plate is 7/8ths of friction material and cover unit has 1 and 1/8th inch of 'disc'. Both are 6.5" across. So the inner diameter of the cover plate is less than the inner part of the friction disc - so it can't fit flush to the surface of the plate's disc. 

I'll have to check the Marina part and that Laycock part now.. hope that inner disc isn't too 'wide' !

IMG-4596.JPG

IMG-4597.JPG

IMG-4598.JPG

Your old friction plate looks unusual in that its got rivets just inside the inner diameter of the friction material so making it unable to lay flat against the new pressure plate. Normally having a difference in these diameters wouldnt matter as long as all the friction material is covered by the pressure plate so perhaps you need a new friction plate as well. This eBay one at 26 pounds delivered for a Marina 1300 should be useable with the Canleys pressure plate....

image.png.6d52f723d2fc6ada156c752a67675cf0.png

23 minutes ago, glang said:

Your old friction plate looks unusual in that its got rivets just inside the inner diameter of the friction material so making it unable to lay flat against the new pressure plate. Normally having a difference in these diameters wouldnt matter as long as all the friction material is covered by the pressure plate so perhaps you need a new friction plate as well.

Note of caution. The pressure plate that exploded on me was, along with the cover plate a refirb. fitted by the previous owner. When I fitted the new driven plate to the old cover plate the clutch wouldn't engage, possibly because of the reason glang has given over rivets.

That cover plate is now scrap.

Differences in diameter, to give the garage mechanic some leeway to source driven plates?

15 hours ago, glang said:

Your old friction plate looks unusual in that its got rivets just inside the inner diameter of the friction material so making it unable to lay flat against the new pressure plate. Normally having a difference in these diameters wouldnt matter as long as all the friction material is covered by the pressure plate so perhaps you need a new friction plate as well. This eBay one at 26 pounds delivered for a Marina 1300 should be useable with the Canleys pressure plate....

This plate looks like a Laycock design one. The plate that Rog removed with the blue springs is the type I've seen others sell and fitted to my car with a similar gearbox conversion, these were made by Borg & Beck (B&B). At some point B&B and Laycock both became part of AP, but I don't know when that was.

The reason I bring this up, if you start mixing and matching parts, you can have other problems (besides physically not fitting). In the past I mixed a Laycock friction plate (but a standard 10-spline one) with a B&B clutch cover (not reproduction) and ended up with a clutch that wouldn't release. Presumably because the cover was set for a different height friction plate.

However, I'm not sure what the best route forward is for you, but mixing reproduction clutch covers with old asbestos friction plates is not the path I would pick. Personally, I would either buy a NOS Laycock clutch cover and friction plate (probably the hardest combination to find), or easier find a NOS B&B clutch cover and fit the old friction plate.

Edited by JumpingFrog

3 hours ago, Wendy Dawes said:

I found this on eBay It is 165mm as I’ve already asked the seller, it is a competition/rally clutch but it will fit our hard to find drivetrain parts 

IMG_0907.png

IMG_0908.png

Looks like a refurbished unit given the wear/recess on the ends of the fingers on the cover plate? Given the price and the rarity of 1300 Dolomite clutches is someone taking advantage?

I doubt it, , it is marketed as a high performance rally clutch so it will appear different to a normal clutch. anyway no one has to buy anything they’re not sure about it’s just an option to consider. 

we all try to help each other when possible, it’s the right thing to do as our cars become harder to get parts for.  It’s Not a compulsory purchase 

3 hours ago, Wendy Dawes said:

I doubt it, , it is marketed as a high performance rally clutch so it will appear different to a normal clutch. anyway no one has to buy anything they’re not sure about it’s just an option to consider. 

we all try to help each other when possible, it’s the right thing to do as our cars become harder to get parts for.  It’s Not a compulsory purchase 

Hi Wendy. I wasn't having a go at you, I was just going by the look of the cover plate and we are all told to beware of sharks. Everyone does their best to help if they can.

• Like 1