Front coil springs Spit 1500

Dannyb

Just removed the front springs from the Spit. They have been on the car with the shocks for 20 years. I was getting tyre rub on the o/s wheel arch. The car has always sat low at the front and measuring the compressed spring it was 7 inches which i believe should be about 8 inch.  Both springs  measure 12 inches in length. Also when on the car theres not much room between the coils.

Could it be they were for a earlier model and too soft.

Danny

It's possible. Earlier springs were softer and a shorter fitted length. 

You can have a go at measuring the spring rate. Weigh yourself in lbs, measure thd spring length then stand on the spring (best done in a doorway so you can stop yourself falling off) and get somebody to measure the compressed length.  Even better if you can add weight, maybe 25l of water in a container or whatever.  

Or find a place with a spring rate gauge....

1500 springs are 180lb/inch from memory.  Earlier springs as low as 140 I think.

Just tested the spring pressure. I placed the spring on a set of bathroom scales with a screw jack on top. Placed under the staircase in my garage and compressed the spring by 1 inch.

I did this a couple of times and the result was 184 lbs.

So now I'm thinking I need a stiffer spring.

Danny

20230819_092442.thumb.jpg.779f67ce8612101b611031d9ee01c69e.jpg

• Like 1

You can do the calcs now. Work out the load on gbe springs from free to compressed length. 

Then use your desired ride height to calculate free length of a new spring. And you need to decide what rate. That is difficult.

If you liked the ride before, you could just add 1" spacers. I used tr4 aluminium spring spacers, used the grinder to cut them to size. The spacers were £5/pr at the Triumph show a couple of years ago.

The ride height was OK and could adjust with spacers under the turrets. The bit I'm concerned with is the spring compression under the car weight compresses to just 7 inch and the coils are too close together you can't see the shocks. I've looked at other spit 1500 and their springs you can get your finger in between the coils. 

I've counted the 13 coils on my springs which I believe is too many. Looking at some suppliers they sell standard springs that fit all marks. But I know they are different for the 1500. I'm wondering if I fitted the wrong springs 20 years ago.

Danny

3 hours ago, Dannyb said:

Does any one know the difference between standard springs and uprated.

Danny

A real minefield. Uprated can mean anything.

Another car club had "uprated" springs made, and they were 20% stronger. However, they were made with the same free length as std springs, so sat the car higher than std. Nuts.

Moss used to sell a range of springs with various rates, and usefully gave the fitted lengths, where many just give the free length. (this is where working out the load on the original spring is useful, you can calculate fitted length)

330lb is/was a common choice, that would certainly firm the suspension up. But if you liked teh ride/handling before, it may be too much. Maybe 200-220lb would be a good choice? Faulkner do a huge range of springs, you could get almost anything you wish. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I run TT4301 that I got from Moss in 2017 (I think). I found they were slightly too low as standard and added spacers.

Moss describe them as "Road Spring Set, front, fast road uprated 330lbs, lowered, silicon chrome, pair" (For P/N TT4301PR)

They give great handling and a sporty ride, but for "pootling" about they are a tad low and a tad harsh. 

DSC_0728.JPG

DSC_0730.JPG

DSC_0781.JPG

DSC_0790.JPG

• Like 1

Sorted.

I went for the uprated 330lbs springs with standard shocks. I had to make some 15mm spacers as it sat too low. It now sits 23 inch. Wheel arc to ground on all four corners. 

Noticed straight away the exhaust does not scrape  on the sloping drive. Didn't find the driving harsh at all. I suspect my old springs were bottoming out as the car sat very low and lop-sided with the coils very close together. 

I drove the car hard into bends and it has transformed the handling, but most of all when hard braking it stops in a straight line.

Danny

• Like 3