Rear offside rattle

Dannyb

I have a metallic rattle coming from offside rear suspension (Spit 1500). Got the back up on axle stands wheels off. First thing its done me a favour as I notice rear Flexible brake pipe is weeping. Back to the rattle. I noticed the offside inner U clamp around the rear sping is split in half so suspect this is the noise. Can you buy these clamps or do I have to make one. I'm thinking of rebuilding the spring or should I just replace. Spring is 20 years old.20231024_155245.thumb.jpg.9378b2e7342280d3a8a7442b142d9be1.jpg

Danny

If you can't find a new supplier for the clamp maybe try Dave at Spitfire Graveyard?

If you go for a new spring be prepared to have to fit a lowering block to get the right camber/ride height. Even with the "correct" spring from a reputable supplier (not the 'bros) I still had to use a lowering block to get mine right.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

If you can't find a new supplier for the clamp maybe try Dave at Spitfire Graveyard?

If you go for a new spring be prepared to have to fit a lowering block to get the right camber/ride height. Even with the "correct" spring from a reputable supplier (not the 'bros) I still had to use a lowering block to get mine right.

That's what I am worried  about. Just got the car sitting right when I change the front suspension. I'll try the graveyard for the bracket.

Danny

15 hours ago, Dannyb said:

I have a metallic rattle coming from offside rear suspension (Spit 1500). Got the back up on axle stands wheels off. First thing its done me a favour as I notice rear Flexible brake pipe is weeping. Back to the rattle. I noticed the offside inner U clamp around the rear sping is split in half so suspect this is the noise. Can you buy these clamps or do I have to make one. I'm thinking of rebuilding the spring or should I just replace. Spring is 20 years old.20231024_155245.thumb.jpg.9378b2e7342280d3a8a7442b142d9be1.jpg

Danny

That clamp is machine riveted to the leaf. 

I seen the same on an old spring of mine.

• Thanks 1

On 25/10/2023 at 10:14, Dannyb said:

Just talked to Dave at the Spitfire Graveyard. He says the brackets are riveted to the springs. So I'm now thinking of taking the spring off to refurbish it and weld the split on the bracket.

Danny

You should be able to replace the rivet with a countersunk bolt/nyloc if you don't have rivets available. Making a bracket should be easy enough. I may even have an old spring section in the garage with one on, can have a look later

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clive said:

You should be able to replace the rivet with a countersunk bolt/nyloc if you don't have rivets available. Making a bracket should be easy enough. I may even have an old spring section in the garage with one on, can have a look later

Thanks Clive. That would be fantastic. And a good idea using a countersunk bolt.

Danny

• Like 1

My spring has now been taken apart and painted. The insulating buttons under the spring were well worn. In fact one was missing under the spring with the broken bracket. I count six. Rimmers catalogue says 4. 

I've ordered a set of polly pads which come as eight. Workshop manual does not say how many there should be.

Danny

• Like 1

Most spring have 4 of the thrust buttons per side (8 In total)

The leaves (Leaf's?) fitted with them have a slight recess to accept them 

I've read some people use Deralin material instead of the original rubber, supposedly harder wearing?

Regards

Gary

6 hours ago, garyf said:

Most spring have 4 of the thrust buttons per side (8 In total)

With the Spit I have the main spring with the safety spring and 3 others which have the dimples to locate the pads. So 6 pads. I suppose the kit of 8 is for other Triumph models that have an extra spring perhaps. 

Danny

Update. After a touch of manflu I have now put the spring back together. Many thanks to Clive for supplying a replacement spring bracket.

I have used Duraflex polyurethane spring isolators which were a bit of a pig as the buttons did not fit the dimples on the spring leaves. So I had to reshape the back of each button to fit. The spring is back in the car with new shocks and flex brake pipes. Now waiting for new bushes for the radius arms before I can get it back on the wheels.

Danny

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

@Dannyb let's hope when you get it back on the wheels and out on the road all this work has paid off and the rattle is gone!

I was thinking that. I'm also hoping the ride height is OK. When I did the front springs and spacers it was 23 inches to wheel arch on all four corners.

I should know by the weekend.

Danny

• Like 2

On 24/10/2023 at 18:38, Dannyb said:

Danny

Hi Danny

If no joy there are a number of companies out there on the net who recondition and reset existing road springs. You might be lucky and retain equivalence of ride height across the back but if not you could send both springs off for reconditioning and fit as a balanced pair.

Out of interest regarding your rear flexi-hose in particular , do you currently have your car MOT’d, as both the condition at the time, and potentially going forward, of the rear spring breakage and weeping brake pipe should have been red flagged upon inspection I would have thought?

Kevin

Took it for a 5 mile twisty lane drive. Got back and measured ground to arch. Front still sitting at 23 inch. Offside rear at 23 1/2 inches with 1 deg negitive camber. Rear nearside  23 1/4 inches  0 deg camber.

The annoying thing is the rattle is still there. I'm now thinking it could be the drivers inersia seat belt. It's not as smooth as the passenger one and clicks when smoothly pulling the belt which is type of sound Im earing. Not sure if they are serviceable.

Danny

• Confused 1

I have a similar issue, and found the LH boot hinge was worn. Bought a new one, fitted. No different.

Try swapping shocks over side to side. (again no difference here) 

I had the MoT man have a good look too, but he can't find any issues. Damn annoying. I guess I will find the issue one day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...