TR7 Engine Dolomite

Matt306

Hi anyone have any ideas for low oil pressure build up on a TR7 engine.

The engine has just been rebuilt with +10 bearing +20 pistons.  

I had slow build up of oil pressure so opted for a new oil pump, and its still no good. 

I am using a cheaper oil at the moment for running in a 20/50 mineral oil from Opie oils. I have some valvoline 20/50 Valvoline All-Climate 20w-50 High Quality Engine Oil (opieoils.co.uk) to go in at next change.

The old engine was better although it was well worn on the cylinder bores. 

I am thinking the Jackshaft was probably worn the bearings which will mean line bore and some shells inserted. I have removed the water pump and replaced with an electric one. The Dizzy only drives the oil pump now although it does provide a cam signal for the ecu.

Any other thoughts/quick fixes before I engage in more engine surgery

Edited by Matt306
forgot

Hi 

I have a dolomite engine in tr7 . I has a electric water pump  oil pressure  about 40-55 psi when cold then 25 -45 psi when warmer oil . 

when  the engine was rebuilt up used a drill and socket to drive oil pump  distributor remove to drive oil pump check pressure and turn engine over by hand. The jackshaft will only oil to camshaft at 1 or places on jackshaft .

OIl pump have prv [bypass valve spring] most all new pump have a heavy spring giving higher pressure Robsport sale prv spring no 215573spring . My has this spring fitted.

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted an oil Pressure gauge changed the oil to Valvoline 20/50 also swapped the oil filter from the blue print one to a borg and beck (both from Rob Sport.)

The oil pressure now is not slow to build light goes out quickly the gauge showing 40 when cold idle about 30 when warm.  

Maybe the cheaper oil, maybe the change of oil filter who knows!