removing throttle body tubes

James

My set are horrid and rusty and they don't seem to want to budge.

1) any tips on removing them?
2) can you get new ones? Places that make up hose connectors sell 45mm 1.5mm wall stuff with beaded ends - and it's not expensive - sounds like it will fit nicely.
3) has anyone tried to mount the plenum directly on to them? I'm guessing tolerances won't allow it

James

I had a set where they kept falling out! A bit of epoxy cured that. I have never tried it but I think direct mounting of the plenum will foul things like choke and throttle linkages but in your inteded application that may not be an issue. Remember also that the longer the ram pipes the better the torque.

Your powers of deduction amaze me Alex.

I'm putting together all the kit - see how far I get - one step at a time. The semi genius idea is to make it for the later engines - and if I get far enough make up some stubby manifolds to fit the mk1 engine. In fact first job is to make up the later manifold face in aluminium with threads et al for a jig. Just cut a few bigger holes and some tube and the stubby manifold is half done. The only extra costing then is getting the trigger wheel on the crank pulley and a bit of fabrication materials.

I've always fancied PI - but the cost of all the bits is way more than a Megesquirt -we even have the throttle bodies ready to fit straight to the head - drill them out from 12mm to 14mm for a modern injector.

I don't want to faff about with the linkage so the cost saving is using a single throttle body on the end of the plenum (10 quid brand new k series plastic thing - yes they do have a reputation for sticking but you can get alloy versions for cheap - plus they only do that if they overhead or get abused - you can get different sizes for fine tuning that fit the same flange too). No balance issues at all then - smooth as anything as the air gets rammed down those lovely tapered throttle bodies.

James I am interested in what you are doing - so if I get this straight you are:

Running injectors into each throttle body (without throttle control) and governing throttle via the throttle body at the input to the plenum?

Running megasquirt to control it all.

So how do you balance the thing?

I am just interested.

Not just in theory but in practice :)

Neil - yes you are correct. I've removed the butterflies and shafts (and blocking them up) then controlling the air flow with a large 48mm throttle body on the plenum.

At least that's the plan... :) I've only butchered a set of throttle bodies so far...

Archived