Triumph Staaag, a world of pain. Your comments please

Barry Acclaim Guru

On 19/02/2024 at 09:09, yorkshire_spam said:

Did it come as a full kit? Or just the rolling shell? Ain't nothing you can't sort dude!

It came as a kit, you know the sort, "no instructions of glue" included type kit. It took the chap about 3 weeks to locate all the boxes of "stuff" that consisted of the "Kit"

• Like 1

Nice set of plug leads, have faith it`s probably better than it looks, but has been badly neglected.  At least the heads are off, took 4 days to remove mine!

Mac 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barry Acclaim Guru said:

Decided to take a look at the engine, it id not start well. Timing chain stretched like elastic, sump full of slime, and the block is ... well.. see for yourself. Words like boat anchor springs to mind. 🤨

This does not bode well.jpg

Not good.jpg

Oh look-slime.jpg

Bugger.jpg

Yuk !! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Firefly said:

Nice set of plug leads, have faith it`s probably better than it looks, but has been badly neglected.  At least the heads are off, took 4 days to remove mine!

Mac 

I’ve got to get the head off my herald, this doesn’t fill me with confidence lol 😂😂

• Like 1

Herald`s a piece of cake Wendy, there`s only one for a start, so no more than two days!!  The Stag has ally heads that weld themselves to the studs. You have to jack the heads about 12mm clear of the block and hacksaw thro the studs. Strangely what`s left of the studs come out of the block with pliers, studs out of the head is a big press job.  I recon you`ll have yours off in a morning, 🤞 and good luck.                                                                                                                                                                             Mac   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Barry Acclaim Guru said:

Decided to take a look at the engine, it id not start well. Timing chain stretched like elastic, sump full of slime, and the block is ... well.. see for yourself. Words like boat anchor springs to mind. 🤨

This does not bode well.jpg

Not good.jpg

Oh look-slime.jpg

Bugger.jpg

I've seen and reconditioned far worse. As long as no con rods have said hello to the outside world, it's more than likely salvageable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Firefly said:

Mac 

Visa pretty set like stone, a bit like medusa's hair. How stiff to these have to be before we admit defeat and replace them? 🤦