Spitfire shock absorbers

James Hill-Lonergan

I have a mk3 Spitfire and like many the front looks too high. I had the same problem a few years ago with a 1500. I managed to find new absorbers with a slightly lower spring seat that made a big difference to the gap between the wheel arch and the wheel. Anyone here had the same problem and managed to find these elusive shock absorbers?

7 hours ago, James Hill-Lonergan said:

I have a mk3 Spitfire and like many the front looks too high. I had the same problem a few years ago with a 1500. I managed to find new absorbers with a slightly lower spring seat that made a big difference to the gap between the wheel arch and the wheel. Anyone here had the same problem and managed to find these elusive shock absorbers?

Is your back end sitting low? When the rubber buttons at the ends of the rear spring wear, it causes the back to sut low & front to come up. There's a chap on Facebook who has harder wearing buttons made & he sells them through the Triumph Spitfire Owners Facebook page. 

Originally all Spitfire's sat higher at the front from the factory. Years of people fitting shortened ' uprated' front springs, (me included), became the normal look. See an original Spitfire with standard springs and they look jacked up in comparison, despite years of wear. Plenty of ground clearance for speed humps and a comfortable ride.