Mabel engine strip

Darren Sharp

I’ve decided to rebuild this engine, I’ve got refurbed HS2 carbs on an original exhaust manifold and D type overdrive gearbox to fit so it makes sense to keep her own engine.  The 1500 engine is always a spare for Darren’s dolomite 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Wendy Dawes said:

That would make sense Amy I could see that they were very very corroded through the ports thanks for that xx 

I noticed from one of your posts you've already got the guides so that will be sorted during the rebuild. 

Good luck with the rebuild. 

• Like 1

Thanks Amy, I’ve got a few new bits  already inlet & exhaust  valves,springs and guides, new pressure relief valve,  thrust washers (std) hopefully they’ll be ok to use  theres no end float, top and bottom gasket sets, timing chain & tensioner kit, timing cover seal , new core plugs ( she has the old welch plugs bash flat type ! lol) , new oil pump,   l I will leave the pistons  and shells to the machine shop, don’t know how much they’ll have to take off . Great fun taking it apart though 

Edited by Wendy Dawes
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wendy Dawes said:

Thanks Amy, I’ve got a few new bits  already inlet & exhaust  valves,springs and guides, new pressure relief valve,  thrust washers (std) hopefully they’ll be ok to use  theres no end float, top and bottom gasket sets, timing chain & tensioner kit, timing cover seal , new core plugs ( she has the old welch plugs bash flat type ! lol) , new oil pump,   l I will leave the pistons  and shells to the machine shop, don’t know how much they’ll have to take off . Great fun taking it apart though 

Wendy, be aware that the vast majority of timing chain tensioners are junk. A local had one wear out in a few hundred miles. Last rebuild I did I reused the old one, some wear but I reckon it had 50k left in it. 

Tony Lindsey Dean had a batch of correctly hardened tensioners made for this very reason, may be worth enquiring if he still has any. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1