Delco Distributor baseplate play?

Bradders

Hi

I was looking at the dizzy on my MkIV and I was surprised to find a surprising amount of 'play' in the baseplate. The car is from 71 and the dizzy is a Delco (not sure of the number) with the knurled vacuum adjuster on the outside. It was converted to Pertronix EI a while back as well so I can easily grab the post that the old points used to locate on and give the baseplate quite a wiggle. I guess I would have expected this to be fairly tight but I can can move it laterally and up/down quite a bit. Is this normal or could it be a culprit for my rough idling/running issues?

Cheers

Baseplates are often a little wobbly - the "bearing" is rather crude and they wear. The shaft bearings also wear, leading to some wobble there. I don't know how sensitive the Pertronix system is, though. When my GT6 was on points, it had massive ignition scatter because of wear in the shaft. I fitted Lumenition and it's a lot better. But that's the shaft, with rotates constantly and therefore rattles around if loose. The base plate mostly stays where it is - a little movement with vacuum and as it gets shaken around, but mostly stationary. So I'd be surprised if it contributed much to rough idle.

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I guess I was hoping for something of a quick fix.

No worries, I will move on to the next thing and revisit the dizzy another day.

I notice that there are whole new dizzys with electronic ignition for sale on Ebay for less than I paid for the petronix kit years ago.

Are these all trash or have prices come down? seems too good to be true...

Cheers

All I know about those 'too cheap to be true' distributors is what I read on Distributor Doctor's website (admittedly he has a commercial interest!):

"Please be aware that the marketplace is flooded with low grade reproduction copies of the original UK Lucas distributors which cost $7.50 in batches of 500.

In most cases, neither the advance curves nor vacuum characteristics bear any relevance to the vehicles they are claimed to be suitable for. They are potentially very detrimental to the health, performance and longevity of your engine.

We work only on 'pukka' UK made Lucas distributors and produce a top quality, accurate, long lasting distributor at a fair price."

http://www.distributordoctor.com/

I can't believe they would be any good at the prices quoted, but no direct experience. 

Pete