scotty71

Youre right Tony there wouldnt be much improvement but I believe the system operates one front and one rear brake as a diagonal pair so as to keep fairly decent braking in the event of a leak. A hydraulic differential pressure switch would also have to be installed so as to give a warning light on the dash if one circuit fails. Its certainly a safer set up but for a more modern brake feel I think Scotty would be better off fitting a servo.....

Quoted from scotty71
so if I used a servo. what size would I need? has anyone tried to convert the rear brakes to disc?
as the MGF rear brakes could fit, if there was a calliper bracket made up in steel to mount to the herald mounting.

I don't think rear disc brakes are worth the effort, the original drums work okay. At least, I've managed to lock the rears in the past... As Andy said, you'd likely need a proportioning valve to maintain the front bias.

If you want better braking, it's best to make sure what's there works properly. E.g. rebuilt calipers with fresh pistons and seals. A lot of people on here recommend Mintex M1144 pads as an upgrade.

A servo undoubtedly helps too, Canley's (amongst others) do a kit https://www.canleyclassics.com/suspension-steering-and-brakes/brake-servo-kit - but I don't have one myself.

you would need to speak to the remote servo suppliers but I would have thought a 1.9 to 1 ratio unit would suffice. They are pretty easy to fit, certainly much easier than rear discs which also would probably need some sort of compensator valve and affect your insurance. Remember that most braking effect comes from the front wheels as under hard braking the back tend to lift off the ground.
Of course first your existing set up has got to be 100% and then a change of pads might help. Theres recommendations on here and I did this on my Vitesse with good results. In fact if you still want further improvement the front brake set up from a Vitesse/GT6 might be the way to go......

Quoted from glang
Youre right Tony there wouldnt be much improvement but I believe the system operates one front and one rear brake as a diagonal pair...

Uh, no. Sorry; that's not how it works (unless someone were to get really creative after the fact)! The split on Triumphs was always front / rear.

A word of caution on tandem brakes. I've had trouble with them on more modern cars where the master cylinder is a 2 in 1 jobbie - as I believe they all are - where the master cylinder fails and you still have no brakes. In other words, the system is not infallible.

IMO it would only be worthwhile if you were going to go to the trouble of making up a system with two separate master cylinders operated by the same pedal. This has been done though I'm afraid I have no more detail than a memory of a picture of twin master cylinders and a clever linkage.

Quoted from herald948

Uh, no. Sorry; that's not how it works (unless someone were to get really creative after the fact)! The split on Triumphs was always front / rear.

This is true.  Whilst modern cars (from roughly the late 80s) have diagonal split systems which give much better braking when only 1/2 are working, the older stuff including all Triumphs, is front/rear split.

The reason for this is related to suspension geometry.  A diagonal split system on a Triumph or similar would cause a massive sideways pull towards the side with the front wheel still working because they have moderate caster and steering axis inclination angles.  Modern cars have much greater angles, intentionally, to reduce the sideways pull caused by the loss of braking on one front wheel.  The downside is much heavier steering unless PAS is fitted.  I know from experience that it is almost impossible to detect when one side braking is lost on my A6 - it doesn't pull at all - just needs a harder shove to stop.

In the middle of all that comes the true split line systems that appeared briefly in the 70s on Volvos, some BMWs and Austin Princesses - 4 pot calipers with two pistons on each side connected to different circuits.

A hard driven Vitesse might possibly benefit from rear discs provided the calipers were carefully chosen to maintain the front/rear bias.  Though if you could still find decent shoes for the drums any advantage would be slight.  I don't think there's much point on a Herald.  If you need more brakes on a Herald, fit Vitesse ones - all round.

Nick