grease in front trunnions

1967 MkIII

Having borrowed a grease gun & oil gun I found that the nipples on the front trunnions are covered in grease, so I assume PO had filled with grease.

so how do i clean them out to replace with oil? what damage may have been done to look out for?

Seen a new trunnion kit on ebay for £4 is it easier to get 2 of them?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIUMPH-SPITFIRE-GT6-HERALD-VITESSE-FRONT-TRUNNION-KIT-/370247266351?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item563474f02f

thanks
steve

If you're happy that everything is in good condition, you can pump in oil until it comes out the top. Drive the car for a few days, then repeat the oiling. The oil and grease will become homogenised, a few goes at this and the grease will become sufficiently dilute that it will be displace completely by the fresh oil.

BUT...

If the grease is old and hardened, no amount of fresh oil is going to thin it. And the only way to genuinely assess the condition of the vertical link is by removing the trunnion, so essentially a stripdown of the front end. You're looking for pitting in the threads on the link, anything like this and the link's strength is compromised.
You should also check for wear, with link and trunnions cleaned and lightly oiled, you should feel the very smallest amount of play between them - if you can really feel the play, then it's too much.

Cheers,
Bill.

Archived