Starter motor, solenoid or attention-seeking?

Nick Moore

Saturday morning. Cool but sunny, the perfect conditions for a burble in the Herald. A couple of miles out of town to warm it up, then turn around round and head back for a coffee.

When I jumped back in though, it wouldn't start. The starter spun but wouldn't throw the pinion and engage the flywheel. So we sat there with a repetitive whirring noise, trying not to look conspicuous (not easy in a bright red Herald), hoping that eventually the pinion would unstick and normal service would resume.

It does this every six months or so, not often enough to make me pull the starter motor out. This time, a chap came along, stuck his head in the window and told me that it was the solenoid. I doubted this, as unlike a pre-engaged starter, a Herald's doesn't rely on a solenoid to engage the flywheel, just the momentum of the pinion overcoming the spring. The 'solenoid' is just the relay on the bulkhead. I lifted the bonnet to show him, pushed the solenoid's button to make the point... And it started. I swear the wee red beastie did it on purpose  ;D

So, the question is, who's right? Is it the relay somehow spinning up the starter but not enough to throw out the pinion? Was it just chance that the first time I pushed the button, the gear unstuck? Or is my Herald having a laugh?

As nang said, it's the bendix. Could be dirty, or could be at the end of its life. Mine started doing it a couple of years ago and cleaning worked for six months. These days I carry a hammer and trolley jack handle next to the drivers seat knowing full well that there's no guarantee the car will start. One swift whack sorts it out. Lots of fun when filling up with petrol... ;)

Graphite powder - right!
Never oil a Bendix.

But hard to get?  No - http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=graphite+powder&_sacat=See-All-Categories

John
PS 500gms would see you right for a million years

piman wrote:
Hello Tony,

"lightly oil and refit",  sorry, but it's better to clean it and don't oil it. The ideal lubricant is graphite dust, but not commonly found.

Alec

Want me to send you a soft pencil?

Old engineering trick, soft artists pencil is mostly graphite.

I had the same symptoms,mostly no problem then on the odd occasion(always when your running late)a turn of the key and either click click or just a whiring sound,since fitting a new solenoid(as suggested and suplied by mr picton) I have had no problems !
If you have a spare try it and see or borrow one !

Archived