Starter motor solenoid getting hot

Steve Cureton

I've posted this here as the marque is not relevant. I've just helped a guy refit the engine to his TR6 after a full rebuild. All was going quite well until we connected the battery as we got a small spark when attaching the battery terminal. We couldn’t find the source of the drain so carried on, thinking we would come back to it later. Anyway, battery connected, oil pressure light on, ignition light on - turn ignition key and nothing!

We went to check the starter connections and discovered the solenoid was hot - too hot to touch. We stripped the solenoid as far as possible but didn't find anything wrong and the actuating lever operates by hand and isn't jamming. We ran out of time at this point so didn't investigate further.

I understand the starter has been stripped to replace the dog but I'm baffled why this would give the symptoms described, ie permanent live even with the ignition off (low current as it's only a small spark), ignition light comes on as normal, solenoid hot, but will not turn over.

Any suggestions on what would cause this unusual fault?

JohnD wrote:
I refer my Honourable Friend to my previous answer in Another Place.
JOhn

Thanks John :) I always forget a vital bit of information when posting! It's a pre-enganged starter. With the mains lead disconnected there is no spark, but we didn't have a mulitmeter with us to carry out any further tests. He's bringing the starter to my place tomorrow for further investigation, but meanwhile he's also thinking of fitting a high torque starter instead. Anyone know of any disadvantages of fitting these to a TR6?

Steve Cureton wrote:
but meanwhile he's also thinking of fitting a high torque starter instead. Anyone know of any disadvantages of fitting these to a TR6?

piman wrote:
the obvious disadvantage is the cost?

i've just made one up for one of my 1300's, Cost £15. plus a few hours work on a milling machine.

Gordon

Archived