molten

when i removed the harness from the car, I removed this from behind passenger a-pillar.
Is this typical? I have another harness off mk4 and this is not included.

There was an alarm that had been added into this harness. Could the pic be related to alarm?

when I bought my project spitfire (basket case i'm afraid), I am sure that there were no fuses in the original box. Maybe this fuse box was added and the original one was bypassed so the extra fuse could be used for the alarm?? Not sure.

Should I look to use it still?

More likely a PO had issues with the original fusebox, and as the original tyle had the fuse holder clip thingys as part of the loom, cut them off. Unless you are after absolute originality, and have another loom to donate the fuse holder bits, I would use that one pictured. Off a mini too :)

The OE Spitfire one has the tags directly onto the clips that hold the fuse. Whilst this sounds ok, as the clips age they can work loose and you end up with poor or intermitant connections on the fuse box.

The one you have fitted there is as others have said a better solution and I would stick with it if it was my car.  

(In fact, I have one fitted to my MkIII Spitfire; but this is in addition to the OE fuse box)

It seems that there are a few details about this car that share GT6 spec, this fuse box, rear brake drums (8"). I recall that the guy I got it from did say that it was a GT6 chassis (how they differ from 1500 spit i dont know). I may be then that the looms are indeed GT6 too perhaps??

The connections on the fuse box loom are original (it seems) and have the round connection terminals that seem to connect under the battery tray. The rest of the loom then goes off to dashboard components. The original fusebox seems to have been bypassed likely as this new (better) loom was fitted.

Will re-use me thinks and will keep fuses inside instead of more exposed outside position.

[quote=2597]
The connections on the fuse box loom are original (it seems) and have the round connection terminals that seem to connect under the battery tray. quote]

Upon closer inspection of the terminals it would seem I was wrong! The wires in the harness have been spliced and terminals added as a mod to bypass the original fusebox. I have another original fuse box to use in the correct place as a dummy.

I will solder weld the under-bonnet harness to this harness as I cut it in half where it goes under the battery tray.

Archived