overdrive mounting plate

Matt306

Quoted from RobPearce
That looks like the right mount. What's the plate like? On Vitesses you need a rear-ward plate for the overdrive but on a Herald the gearbox sits a couple of inches further forward.

The mounting place on the chassis is the standard Herald one. I cant seem to find a pic on line ATM. There are four holes two at the front for the standard box. There are two at the rear which I suppose are for the Vitesse standard box as the OD mounting plate is different, with as you say a rear ward plate.  As Heralds were never factory fitted with a OD box I wondered what other people have done.  I know Spits were 4 cyl and had OD fitted but the chassis is obviously different , although i don't know if the mounting plates are interchangeable.

Quoted from Matt306
As Heralds were never factory fitted with a OD box I wondered what other people have done.  

The Spitfire's overdrive mounting plate is a straight fit. The standard-non-overdrive plate is bulged upwards and will raise the back end of the gearbox higher than it ought to be,

Cheers,
Bill.

Quoted from heraldcoupe

The Spitfire's overdrive mounting plate is a straight fit. The standard-non-overdrive plate is bulged upwards and will raise the back end of the gearbox higher than it ought to be,

Cheers,
Bill.

Cheers Bill I was hoping you would weigh in with your wise words. I'll start the hunt, I take it as long as its a spit od plate it doesn't matter which year

Quoted from Matt306
I'll start the hunt, I take it as long as its a spit od plate it doesn't matter which year

Depends on the gearbox you're using. If it's a 3-rail, ie Spitfire Mk1-IV type, then use the plate from that model. If it's a single rail gearbox, ie Spitfire 1500 type, then use the plate from thet model.

The mounting plate would in fact be quite easy to fabricate. It's a flat piece of steel with folded ends for stiffening. The footprint naturally matches the non-overdrive type so could be marked out using that as a pattern,

Cheer,s
Bill.

Quoted from heraldcoupe

Depends on the gearbox you're using. If it's a 3-rail, ie Spitfire Mk1-IV type, then use the plate from that model. If it's a single rail gearbox, ie Spitfire 1500 type, then use the plate from thet model.

The mounting plate would in fact be quite easy to fabricate. It's a flat piece of steel with folded ends for stiffening. The footprint naturally matches the non-overdrive type so could be marked out using that as a pattern,

Cheer,s
Bill.

James Paddock had a new part for £15 which i would have ended up spending on a old one. Its out the way so not worried about authenticity here. http://www.jamespaddock.co.uk/overdrive-mounting-plate-d-type-2 metal looks a bit thin though.

I will have to think about Speedo next as i have a 3.89 diff as opposed to a 4.11 diff and OD so I might look out for a Vitesse Speedo , or will the difference be not that much.

The metal on that bracket looks like 3mm which is about what the original plate would have been. It's fine.

If you have a 3.89 diff your speedo will under-read by a few percent compared to now, but they're often a few percent the other way anyway. It's probably not worth worrying too much.

Quoted from RobPearce
The metal on that bracket looks like 3mm which is about what the original plate would have been. It's fine.

If you have a 3.89 diff your speedo will under-read by a few percent compared to now, but they're often a few percent the other way anyway. It's probably not worth worrying too much.

With just the Diff i wasnt worried as you say its only a couple of MPH. The Overdrive conversion will affect the reading too?

Quoted from herald948
No, it won't!

Oooh thought it might with all the different gubbing on the end. Oh well I'll keep the speedo. I'll just put my GPS Pratnav on to check how much the difference is anyway. Shouldnt be too much , great news.