is it worth putting over drive on a herald 1200 saloon. and does any one know a cheaper place than Rimmers. Rimmers have a kit to do the conversion with all the bits inc full syncro gear box 4 speed.

any answers would be greatfully recieved.

just over 600. i just wondered about over drive because of doing ten counties in september and did 20 countys at the weekend, and with rbrr 2006 fell doing alot of long journeys it would be worth it. just wanted other peoples input and ideas.

I had the single rail box from a Dolly 1500 in my Herald even when it was a 1200.  It pulled well (it did have SAH head, twin carbs and 4-2-1 though) and only needed to change down on long hills.

In my opinion it is the single most effective modification you can make to a Herald be it 1200, 1300 or 1500 (1500 really needs a taller diff ratio too).  Go for it!

Nick

Herald with OD is THE BIZ!!!
If you upgrade to Spitfire Spec to about 90bhp, you won't have to change out of OD, and the darn thing will average 35mpg+ get a close ratio one with ally b/h.!!!

I had all that (and crashed it!)
I can't imagine why they didn't fit them from the factory....they must have been nuts!!

Got a D-type in me MkII spit, awsome. Just did a fuel consumption test run, 2 days cruising at 50-60, some town stuff, 45 mpg. Diff ratio is 4.11:1 which is fine for the 1147 engine. 50-60 is almost silent running mode. Gofer it, especially if you give the engine a bit more go. Great also for back roads switching between 3rd - 3rd OD and back down to 3rd at the flick of a switch. Use it all the time. You can make the wiring harness yourself, dead easy. Wired an 8 amp fuse into mine.

I have a 13/60 and have fitted an OD. Defintly worth doing makes the car much more usable on motorways and A roads and you get good MPG. Mine has just returned well over 40MPG on a run down to the SEM and back). 
I brought my OD GB second hand (sold my daughters collection of LEGO trains to buy it...) and with a secondhand propshaft from a non OD vitesse (its just about  fitted...) but even after having the prop balanced I still had vibrations I think due to wear in the splines.
In the end brought a new OD propshaft from CC and its been vibration free. Actually there is nothing worse to drive than a vibrating Herald.......
I think the moral is thats if you do its worth spending money to get it right. So £600 all in sounds a good deal!
Mike
(also going on the 10CR)

Archived