Gearbox locked solid during the RBRR at John O'Groats

Dannyb

New standard thrust washers in and sump back on. Also took the opportunity to take out the front alloy sealing block as I knew the thread had gone on the middle blind hole that the timing cover screws too. I have re-tapped with M8.

Next will be to determine TDC and then set the valve timing with valves 7&8 at balance point.

Not sure if this can be done with a dial gauge in the plug hole.   

No, you can't reliably do it with a dial gauge down the plug hole; the angle is too obtuse.  What you can do is to make a stop out of an old sparkplug with a bit of steel rod epoxied into it, that you can screw into the spark plug hole and stops the piston reaching TDC. Rotate the engine in one direction until the piston hits your stop. Then mark the position of the pulley's notch onto the timing cover, or a piece of card fixed to the cover. Rotate the engine in the opposite direction until the piston stops again and then mark the pulley notch position again. TDC is midway between the two marks.

Or you can do it the other way round, using a fixed point on the timing cover and using two marks on the pulley, with TDC being midway between them. Exactly the same result, but use whichever suits your normal method of showing TDC and the static timing mark, etc.

Hope it all goes well!

Quoted from Dannyb-

New standard thrust washers in and sump back on. Also took the opportunity to take out the front alloy sealing block as I knew the thread had gone on the middle blind hole that the timing cover screws too. I have re-tapped with M8.

Next will be to determine TDC and then set the valve timing with valves 7&8 at balance point.

Dont want to be the bearer of bad news Danny but Im not sure your new M8 thread is going to be up to much. By my calculations the major diameter of the original 5/16 UNF thread was about 8mm so the new tapping wont have improved things much.

Did you mean M10 which is what I used for the two sump bolts and am about to try for the timing cover. It means you have to use Allen cap head setscrews as the heads on normal hex ones are too big but does allow you to get plenty of tightening torque....

Quoted from glang-
Quoted from Dannyb-

Dont want to be the bearer of bad news Danny but Im not sure your new M8 thread is going to be up to much. By my calculations the major diameter of the original 5/16 UNF thread was about 8mm so the new tapping wont have improved things much.

Did you mean M10 which is what I used for the two sump bolts and am about to try for the timing cover. It means you have to use Allen cap head setscrews as the heads on normal hex ones are too big but does allow you to get plenty of tightening torque....

On my car i did re-tap a few damaged 5/16 threads to M8 with no problems for years now.

This afternoon I set up the valves with 8&9 on the rock.

I also made a piston stop and the TDC on the timing cover is spot on. 

I have also decided to buy a new duplex (double sprocket) from Paddocks as the old one is a bit worn on the slot for the woodruff key.

Does anyone know what way it should be fitted as I can't remember when taking the old one off.  Is it with the tapered end facing towards the block ?