Gearbox Counter Shaft Pin

Straight Six

Looking at the manual its unlikely to be the pin youre talking about as this is installed in the output extension housing side of the main gearbox housing so really cant come out of the sump plug hole. If it was to exit at all it would be via the extension housing if you had removed the speedo drive or coupling and drained oil from there.
Its more likely to be one of the layshaft roller bearing needles of which theres quite a few in the main gearbox casing. Its difficult to see how it could have come out of place in use however during a rebuild they are notoriously easy to dislodge while moving the layshaft.....
Obviously its not ideal running these bearings with the incorrect number of needles but it could even be one of the original needles left in there during a rebuild while the new needles were all correctly installed!
If you could post a good close up picture of the offending item we might be able to positively identify it along with its possible history.

yes the layshaft spindle pin is outside the running gear , but does fit in an oil drain relief especially in the rearcover or OD adaptor casing , could it escape ...not really

what can and does escape is needles from the input shaft/mainshaft spigot  and this is the main culprit  zone for failures wear and tear .

agree a picture would tell a better tale

Pete

oh yes thats no needle bearing thats called a dowel and I believe not the same as the pin used to fix the layshaft. It looks like they are used to locate the top cover of the gearbox casing and also the remote gearlever housing that goes on top of that. It couldnt have come out of place in service but could have fallen out of either during reassembling of the box and you've been very lucky not to suffer major damage

Quoted from glang
oh yes thats no needle bearing thats called a dowel and I believe not the same as the pin used to fix the layshaft. It looks like they are used to locate the top cover of the gearbox casing and also the remote gearlever housing that goes on top of that. It couldnt have come out of place in service but could have fallen out of either during reassembling of the box and you've been very lucky not to suffer major damage

Yes, that looks like a pretty strong possibility.  I think the countershaft pin would be longer than that.
Certainly it looks like a complete one not a broken one........ and I don't see how the countershaft pin can have got into the main casing from where it normally lives, especially without getting caught in any gears.

Possibly it has lain there since the last rebuild?  Bloody lucky it's not got picked up in the oil swirl and gone into the gears.

Running without the countershaft pin in place will mean that the shaft rotates in the casing and will slowly wear the casing.  Probably won't show any symptoms until the case is quite worn.

Nick

you got me wondering now as I cant remember if the casing dowels are hollow roll pins as in the photo or solid.... The one in the photo looks a bit chunky and short to be item 30 ditto the layshaft one - we need one of the 'encyclopaedia' members on here to settle this

Thanks all. Easy enough to find out if its item 30 on Pete's diagram. I haven't had the cover off this box since the last time I removed the drain plug, if in fact I'm not sure I've ever removed the cover but again an easy one to check.

P.S. Not sure how the predictive text changed magnetic drain plug into magnetic drain playground in the original post, but well done for guessing what I was on about!