Chrome 'stuff'

andyc203

Hello all - very simple, looking at 'tarting up' the interior of my '72 Spit, much of the internal chrome is looking very tired and naff.  Obviously not cost effective to have internals re-chromed, however giving them a clean and a lick of some sort of chrome spray paint or similar would be feasible.

Question - what do people recommend? Is there even such a suitable product? I've seen many chrome effect sprays but very mixed reviews. If so, is there anything suitable for the external bits!?

Thanks in advance! 

Andy

I've never had much luck with chrome paint, it just isn't shiny enough to pass muster. There is such a thing as spray-on chrome but I've only seen it in a demo of a professional process so it's probably not DIY.

I've had some fairly good results from DIY electroplating - not with chrome but with nickel/zinc

Quoted from Guppy916-

I use Auto-Sol and a lot of elbow grease, don't be afraid to use a green scourer quite hard, then polish it back with Auto-Sol

Just bear in mind that Autosol on chrome (or any plated metal) will be removing a bit of the chrome plating, and will eventually take it back to the substrate if you use it often. It does brighten things up but should be used sparingly, I reckon. 

As a youth I ruined a rather nice chrome petrol tank on a Lambretta by over-zealous use of Autosol...

• 4 months later...

I have the same problem with my '72...

A guy in the club here in Germany used chrome wrap on his bumpers and they look better than you think. There is a relfelction and all!

I don't know if he rust-proofed it first though.

The problem is it has to be smooth as a baby's....

I also have heard the wrap doesn't take well to tears and scratching so maybe not the best for a handle.

I am keeping an eye out for junker parts parts to attempt it as if I screw it up completely at least it isn't mine!

My plan is to clean stuff to get it as smooth as possible. Soak the item in rust converter (even though I believe most of the "monkey metal" is zinc alloy?) and then if it is still rough use a kind putty designed to fill in pores.

Then try to wrap it to look halfway decent.

Honestly I am not to optimistic that it will look anything but naff but I want to try as I know this is a real problem. Another issue I have is we are haing sub zero temps at the mo and wrap likes it nice and warm...

I asked a metal worker friend who works in stainless stell why we can't just have these parts stamped in thinish stainless steel but he has yet to get back to me...

Andy, I don't know where you are but if you google cosmichrome you will find links to other companies outside France.

The friend who sent me the link is going to take some Simca bits to them at the end of the month, I will possibly go with him to look at their set up. Turn round time is a month.

I am near the Hockenheimring in Germany, about 1 hour from the French border. I am not German though so I have a sense of humor. :-D

I have been searching for a few weeks on info about alternatives to rechorming/replating.

A lot of the info I have found is old and I haven't found a anyone who has done it and how well it has held up over time.

Let em know how your mate gets on ..

Thanks!

There is a place in Mannheim that claims they can do it. I have no clue at what price.

What I cannot find is info about durability.  There were reports of flaking/yellowing/loss of shine but they are all nearly 10 years old and most places that do this have only been doing it since 2018.

I have asked in many forums and on social media but no one has done it or they are not owning up to it (I feel like I asked if they kissed their sister...)

Some parts it's not worth it. Window cranks cost between 15-20€ here so not worth it.

Decent door bezels and trunk/boot trim start at 40€ and go up to 400€ so if this is an option it might be worth it.

I am not a "green" but I prefer not throwing things out if I can avoid it.