How do I know which O/D gearbox I'd need?

Moorzee

I'm thinking that perhaps the spitfire I've bought might need an extra gear as the mooching I am doing in it has M-Way stretches in. I've been looking and see them regularly on Ebay etc... but am stumped as to how I'd know what type I need, J/D extra? For instance, would this, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Spitfire-1500-overdrive-gearbox-Laycock-J-type-for-MG-Midget-conversion-/171447039747?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item27eb0a3703 , fit a 1976 spiftire 1500? why or why not? What is the right amount to pay for a box and do I need to ask any magic questions/see any magic numbers on them etc...?

Thanks...

timbancroft61 wrote:
Canleys-simple, you buy what you have paid for, a known quantity!

Indeed. We got a J Type box for my '78 1500 off eBay I believe cheaply and it seemed fine for the first test drive after the swap but now it seems to be slipping a lot under acceleration on up changes when not engaged so having to save up for a rebuild/replacement. Slipping O/Ds are very annoying!

I would go for a refurbished unit over an eBay buy because of this, it is very difficult to determine if the clutches within the O/D are slipping when out of the car and with a refurbished unit you have that peace of mind.

I went the other way, quite happy with the "risk" of an ebay purchase and ended up rebuilding the gearbox as a result (about 100 quid on top of the purchase price) stripped and checked the OD at the same time - needs about 20 quid in parts spending on it.
I guess it depends on money vs risk vs how much spanner work you can/will do.

9598 wrote:

Yes that would fit your Spitfire (if you have a 1976 1500). I would say that version/model is the one to go for as that is the gearbox fitted to your car.

You will need (propshaft, O/D switch & gearbox mount). But all in all, that conversion is the easiest for you as it will fit your clutch without mods.

Had to laugh at the eBay listing, as the O/D box will not fit into a 1500 Midget. Thats why it was never offerred by BL and why lots of Midget engines were knackered quite early due to the high gearing.

The D'Type was fitted to earlier cars, so lots of people either use them or upgrade to the later (stronger) J'Type box. But seems a bit silly fitting a D'Type to a Spitfire 1500.

Up at th edonnington show there was a large number of OD boxes for sale. None of which I would even bother to try in a car from the amount of play in the input shafts let alone what else may be a problem.
Flipside is I sold my OD box to a chap from my local club up there. The box was at home, having been advertised on here at fair money with an honest description. I only had one enquiry, and he lost interest when I described how you could beat one of the synchros (not under normal circumstances, you had to really try) so my honesty was lost on him. Still, it is going to a good home.
Moral is, seek out a box that the seller can say is OK. If it is sold as "unknown" I would assume the worst.

I bought my 3 rail with J type o/d box on ebay on ebay. It came with all the extras you need to fit it such as speedo cable, angle drive, crossmember etc.
I bought it about 6 years ago for £120 . I dropped it straight off to the rebuilders, spent £225 having parts replaced and the O/D checked and it's been a fabulous box since then.

Might be worth you looking for a cheapie and getting it rebuilt??