Vitesse 6 Gearbox

Gavin

The gearbox in my vitesse 6 is leaking oil from just about everywhere (inc input and output shafts) - however the gearbox itself works just fine. How feasable / worthwhile is it to replace all the necessary seals and would it be worth it given that from what I've read here the early vitesse gearboxes were n't very strong anyway? Would a reconditioned Mk1 gearbox be a better option?

Advice appreciated - thanks Gavin

Make sure the breathers not blocked on the selector top (tiny hole in the aluminum towards the front). Also could have been fitted with an overdrive selector top by mistake by previous re conditioner that have this hole blocked from new. If so just pop the little top hat pin thing out. Throwing oil out from everywhere is a sure sign that the box is pressurising.

I may be being thick here, but how can a gearbox pressurise? Surely it's just rotating cogs and splashing oil, and the actual small volume of air inside can't change much other than by warming up a little, but no way developing enough pressure to physically push oil out of all the seals....or does the air in a gearbox really get hot enough to do that?!

But my line of thinking is, that if the air expands and pushes the oil out, on cooling when the car is stopped the air in the box cools and contracts, so for it to happen again the next time you drive the car new air will have to be drawn in to replace the volume of oil displaced through the seals, so for this to happen there must already be enough venting to allow for expansion, unless new air is drawn in through the oil seals, in which case they will be probably knackered.......and it's a slow day at work today..... :)

Oil tight seals are invariably not gas tight, it's a good thing really.The molecules in a lubricating oil are significantly larger in diameter than any of the gases in air. And if there's enough room for oil to pass out through a seal, then there will be plenty of room for air to get back in.

When the gearbox cools the air inside will contract, it will be at a lower pressure than the air outside and the reultant vacuum will draw air in from the outside. It would be almost impossible to make a gearbox casing airtight to prevent any air being drawn in. Indeed if you did then the air inside it would pressurise and try to inflate the casing when it got hot! So the oil blowing by is just that, it's being forced out by the pressure of the hot air. Breathers ensure that the apparatus doesn't get pressurised at all.

Archived