GT6 trim question.

John Bonnett

Is the pillar between the rear quarter light and the door window covered in head lining material or in black vinyl? The B post black vinyl only extends to the top of the side panel. I cannot remember how my GT6 was done so would appreciate a memory jog.

Thank you

John do you mean the strange carpet strips don't sound original?

http://www.canleyclassics.com/triumph-gt6-mkiii-rear-quarter-ventilator

This diagram shows the rear quarter light seals have various colours, (not chestnut unfortunately) so I think it's standard.

9077 wrote:
Yes John you're correct, mine's the same. I've just never noticed the Furflex on the quarter light and mentioned it, nothing to do with the question, sorry to confuse everybody.  ;D

Excellent Doug, thank you. I can proceed with confidence now  :)

Oh, thanks for posting this question John. My car has never had the headliner, so it answers a question I never considered before. I knew the A-pillar/windscreen was covered in black, but not the B Pillar.
The question is, how does the join between the headliner and black vinyl work? Is the headliner lapped down over the vinyl and glued in place?

Even better, John. I like the headliner down the B-post better. I have black vinyl for the A-post, but chances are I will either leave them painted body color and uncovered, or I will find body color vinyl to wrap them in--or even better, bring the headliner down the A-post as well and make them both match.

7952 wrote:
Even better, John. I like the headliner down the B-post better. I have black vinyl for the A-post, but chances are I will either leave them painted body color and uncovered, or I will find body color vinyl to wrap them in--or even better, bring the headliner down the A-post as well and make them both match.

I've opted for black vinyl down the sides of the windscreen frame but perhaps headliner material might have looked better.

The  A post had a moulded capping made of some kind of plastic. These are still available but often only listed under TR Parts:

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-RR1229M

I only purchased the 2 side trims which I had to trim slightly at the ends to fit.

the B post is definitely trimmed in head lining material as has been confirmed earlier.

Regards

Chris

When I bought my headlining, from NC, it came with 2 sets of 'strips' obviously cut from a template as they were not just straight strips - one set for the 'A' post and the other for the 'B' post.

The main headlining came a good 6 inches down the 'A' post and about 4 on the 'B' post...

I made the 'overlap' at the start of the narrowest bit between seals.

Seems to tie-in with the other replies  :)

Whilst not relevant to Johns car the earlier GT6 Mk2/+ had a black headlining up until the facelift models of 69/70 where they reverted to white, added the reclining seats, matt black windscreen frame, combined reversing/number plate light and aluminium 3 spoke steering wheel.

Chris