Changing diff oil

willcolumbine

I'm getting all the niggling little jobs done so I can get my car back on the road and I've got one I've been putting off for ages. Changing the oil in the diff.

I've finally decided to man up and do it! But how? I used to use an oil extractor for outboard engines but I ran it over and broke it after doing it last time! Is there an easy way to drain the oil? And what oil is the best to use?

Thanks in advance!

You can suck it out using your mouth if you use a long enough length of clear tubing, about 5/16" or 3/8" or so internal diameter. Obviously needs to be long enough to see when you need to stop sucking........It it's warm enough it might even syphon after that if you can get the car high enough.

I now use a pump like your broken one, but I have sucked/syphoned it before when I was young and stupid.

You can buy disposable 50-60ml syringes on ebay that have a wide nozzle, rather than the narrow type for connection to a needle.  They are called 'cather tip' syringes.  Theywill plug into a length of suitably sized tubing and still draw the oil out fairly quickly, esp.if warm.   Treat as disposable - the oil will slowly cause the plunger seal to swell and jam or distort, so chuck it away after use.
See: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/50ml-catheter-tip-syringe-sterile_W0QQitemZ260288371078QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260288371078&_trkparms=72%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
John
(No connection with the vendor!)

The traditional tool for it is called a suction gun in the US:
http://www.tai-india.com/English/40-501.htm

They are not expensive; they're less expensive than grease guns, found at almost all auto parts stores.  However, you use it on a Triumph only every couple of years when you want to change the diff and transmission lube.  

Wow! Loads of good suggestions! I reckon I'll go for either the syringes or the little hand pump that elm suggested. That looks like a useful bit of kit to have around!

So now I know how I'm going to do it, what oil should I use? Looks like GL4 EP90 is the way to go but are there any brands I should specifically look out for?

willcolumbine wrote:
So now I know how I'm going to do it, what oil should I use? Looks like GL4 EP90 is the way to go but are there any brands I should specifically look out for?

Redline oil apparently has a very good reputation...
but I think in all honesty, if it's GL-4, synthetic and not £1.99 a puncheon or with "tesco's premium olive oil" stamped on it, you should be all right :)

I've got myself one of the little had pump things off ebay. With a Paypal postage discount it came to £2.79. The seller is called miler1979 if anyone else wants one!

Funnily enough this thread came for another job today. I used John's method with a small syringe to get the oil out of my dashpots so I could put some thicker stuff in there. It worked a treat!

Archived