MK3 GT6 PROPSHAFT

system6

Hi all
       Progressing with my resto project , univerasal joint on prop ,... i've removed the joint but lost the position of exactly how the parts came apart , if fitted different from how it was originally will this cause a problem with the prop being out of balance,....
                                       Thanks

The end flange can be fitted two ways (180 degrees) but that is no problem, it does not affect balance. as you fit the new joint, and circlips, don't forget to make sure it's seated back against the clips, so that it is not "dragging" the best way to test, hold the prop, and lift the flange, let go and it should drop with no or very little resistance.
Then if you have pulled the prop apart, fit the sliding joint, so that the position of the yokes (on the main prop and inner part of the sliding joint) are the same orientation, or you can also look at the two end flanges for the same result. I.e. one is not 90 degrees different from the other!

Hope that makes sense,  :)

imagine splitting the prop in two along its length,you with me so far?

well the split would need to go through the centre of the yoke holes at each end.

forget it here's a picture.

http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/ps.htm

hope that makes sense :P :)

That photo explains it perfectly and that is the way I was trained it always be done.

HOWEVER ! Some years ago I worked in a MAN truck dealership I had the two piece propshaft off a vehicle. I reassembled propshaft as I had been trained and discovered a really bad transmission vibration. I had my foreman look at the prop and he confirmed I had the prop properly assembled (also as he had always been trained). Out of curiosity we looked at a couple of other trucks of the same model to find that at the centre bearing carrier the couplings were crossed (Wrong as my foreman and I had been trained) I removed the joint on the vehicle I was working on to assemble the same way as the other trucks we had inspected VIBRATION GONE.

Laurence