MK1 crankshaft journals

tom horse

Hi,

Does anyone know the dia of the main journals on a GT6 MK1 crankshaft? The reason I ask is that the only info I have is for the 2000/2500 saloon.  And that tells me that the 2000 engine has  2.0" journals and the 2500 is 2.3". My gt6 mk1 block 2ltr ( KC5***E) has 2.3" journals. I'm rebuilding it and want to make sure I order the correct bits.

Thanks 

The 2000/2500 WSM is misleading rather than actually wrong. The values it quotes for the 2000 are for the early Mk1 engine, applicable up to KC4500 on GT6 (HC4500 on Vitesse and also 1600). The later Mk1 and all Mk2 engines adopted the journal sizes from the 2500.

Yours, then, is a later Mk1 block and you will need the (far more readily available) later bearings. I wrote an article in Club Torque on the differences between early and late Mk1 engines, inspired by my error in obtaining a late block to replace an early one. It appeared in Issue 288, March 2016, on page56

Brilliant! That what I was after.  I can now order the bearings etc and get on with rebuilding this block. The original MK1 block has a nice crack and other problems between cyls 5 + 6. The original  engine is an early block with the small journals which is a shame as the crank is in better condition than the crank in the replacement engine.

The fun never ends with this 2000 MK1. I should write a book on it. From the extended clutch rod, the cracked brake drum, the ham fisted attempts at set up the carbs, the silicon used to seal the float chambers and all the other class one bodges. The bodywork is nice  though.

Thanks again for the information. JMM

• 1 month later...

Well it was cheaper to buy a reground crank with bearings and get it  delivered, that it was to get this one reground locally.

local price €45 per journal plus tax which is over €500. bearings extra

reground one with bearings  delivered £220

unfortunatley I have to get the block bored at

Monsieur   Opportuniste

Vous a par les couilles Ingènierie

I hope he realises I have a limited number of arms and legs otherwise I'll be using the good old myford to skim the head.