Mole 42,

We are integrating some of the old route into the event, however as you say motorways and fast dual c/way A roads (the A1, for example) have been built over some of the single c/way roads the event used to use. Also, the event used to go through cities like Edinburgh (Dalkeith), Bristol, Exeter, London, traffic density rules those sections out.

I would absolutely love to take the route through the centre of London, as driving there when no traffic is around is an absolute joy, but just not feasible these days.

Because of the popularity of the Scottish and Welsh roads, some sections of the route have almost become transit sections-A1(m),M74, M6 etc.

Nigel Abdullah does a terrific job with the route, it offers every type of UK roads.

The route has always evolved and I think is all the better for it. The only bad aspect is that the Sunday afternoon section from Pimperne is madly busy these days, making route choice difficult for us.

'Tis a shame that the road conditions are so dismal! I would have thought that Bristol at 3am might be a possibility as may be Exeter at 4 on a Sunday morning.
However, I think that the route will be every bit as exciting as the 1990 one I did. I'm just suffering an attack of overwhelming nostalgia.

I said this last year, but maybe too late then,
but coming back doon frae Scotchlandshire, it would be  a good move to
follow the olde road   B 7076, that runs next to the M Way
can join it at Abington, and go all the way to Carlisle.

And there will be little if any cars on it, and its a v v good wide road in parts, A road to your selves,!!!

worth a think, zoom in, or go street velw, see what im onaboot

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.9866051,-2.9250551,11z

M

• 4 weeks later...

Quoted from GT6 M
I said this last year, but maybe too late then,
but coming back doon frae Scotchlandshire, it would be  a good move to
follow the olde road   B 7076, that runs next to the M Way
can join it at Abington, and go all the way to Carlisle.

And there will be little if any cars on it, and its a v v good wide road in parts, A road to your selves,!!!

worth a think, zoom in, or go street velw, see what im onaboot

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.9866051,-2.9250551,11z

M

Drove that road on one of the Ecosse's. (2011 I think)  Lovely drive 🙂