Alex wrote:

Danny I would have expected you to get more ...do you have overdrive? what engine do you have etc? :-/

Your mpg is very close to the gt6's figures.....mine has always got at least 40+ mpg on a rbrr.Ask anyone who knows me or my car and they'll tell you I like to work it.

Amendment
Now that my brain has recovered from no sleep. I forgot I did not have a full tank when starting  as I used at least 5 ltr to the Plough. + I have now recalculated using an online tool.

Car 25   Spitfire 1500..... 2284 miles clocked 62.4 gallons used.
First 319 miles with the front float bowl flooding and giving those behind me plenty of petrol fumes, she was doing 29.8 MPG,
After fixing she did 39.7 MPG.
Overall she did 36.6 MPG.

So 39.7 2 up with luggage bombing along not too bad.

Car 49, Tim Hunt/Pat Barber TR4A.

I brimmed the tank some time before the start and again on returning home. Fuel consumption was 292.66 litres for 2,124 recorded miles. Correcting for a known odometer error of +1.5% gives a TRUE overall consumption of 32.5 mpg. The tank was brimmed at several points on the route and this allowed calculation of intermediate consumptions, none of which were below 30mpg.

Allowing for all stops, which we timed, I calculated our running average speed (corrected as above) as 50.6mph. We certainly were not hanging about and I was very pleased with the consumption, significantly better than that reported in any period road tests of the 4A. We were running with the hard top fitted, giving best aerodynamics and the electronic ignition (123 distributor)and Kenlowe fan must help a bit I guess.

Tim Hunt