I've just been adding up our fuel receipts. Looks like we used about 280 litres and did 2260 miles (including to and from the Plough). So about 36mpg or there abouts. I'm really pleased with that.

Let's not be vulgar and mention the cost though (apart from two fill-ups with super unleaded at 153.9 pence per litre !!!!!)

Initial mpg figures appear to be

91 gallons used over 2150 miles, this is had to calculate as some receipts do not have the fuel price or liters on so used 1.40 as an average price.

circa 24mpg, not bad considering it s 2.5 pi saloon, and i drove it hard due to a flat spot at 1500 rpm.

only used half a pint of oil! well chuffed with that.

2391miles door to door in Amanda's estate, 28.75mpg average and about 2litres of oil used. Almost identical mpg to 2010 but a litre extra of oil, only change to the engine since 2010 is about 15k miles. Should have tried harder to get the megasquirt done in time!

Colin.

Team 3 in Mark Blands 2500S witha 2L in it averaged 26mpg, the Tebay to Oswestry leg was the most economical at just over 30MPG so the car is most frugal on Motorway driving. The worst economy was on the Edinburgh to Skiach leg (when I was driving) which only averaged just obver 24MPG, the car really struggled on hills and was obviously using lots of go juice on the hilly highland bit.. Overall we used 86 Gallons ogf Petrol at a cost of £568 for 2238 miles which included  the to the Plough and back mileage. We also used a fair ammount of oil, probably about 5 litres in all..

Car 25   Spitfire 1500..... 2284 miles clocked 67.4 gallons used.
First 319 miles with the front float bowl flooding and giving those behind me plenty of petrol fumes, she was doing 26.6 MPG,
After fixing she did 35.5 MPG.
Overall she did 34 MPG.

We didnt really pay too much attention to economy but the odd tank full we worked out for something to do.
We stuck to nice steady speeds and didnt rev the engine past 2500 as we're just not the type.With our slow and steady approach we believe we conserved fuel which in turn helps save the enviroment
.....ok if you believe that ;D

We worked it out to be early 40's on average although at times maybe a little more not bad considering the roof was down for a fair time and we occasionally went quite quickly ;).

I was musing on this subject as I was waving people through the barrier at Edinburgh, and I could not help feeling that a fair number of Saloon drivers (these were by far the worst offenders) could possibly have improved their fuel consumption by removing a bit of excess weight out of their cars!! I was amazed at the number that went through with the backs of the cars loaded to the gunnells!!

It is amazing how driving a bigger car causes people's idea of essentials to change  ;D ;D ;D

thebrookster wrote:

It is amazing how driving a bigger car causes people's idea of essentials to change  ;D ;D ;D

Ah .. but carrying a spare drive shaft enabled one other Saloon to continue to the end.  Looking at the finishing statistics, I'd suggest spare driveshafts are the essential spare for small chassis cars in future  ;D.   I'm also looking for a portable mig welder to add to the list of essential tools :-/ !

1684 wrote:
I know if I stick to 60mph on  motorway I will get 45 MPG   but on the RBRR I was not hanging around so I'm pleased with what it did.

Danny I would have expected you to get more ...do you have overdrive? what engine do you have etc? :-/

Your mpg is very close to the gt6's figures.....mine has always got at least 40+ mpg on a rbrr.Ask anyone who knows me or my car and they'll tell you I like to work it.

Alex wrote:

Danny I would have expected you to get more ...do you have overdrive? what engine do you have etc? :-/

Your mpg is very close to the gt6's figures.....mine has always got at least 40+ mpg on a rbrr.Ask anyone who knows me or my car and they'll tell you I like to work it.

1500 with overdrive. About 6,000 on a recon engine.   I did drive it harder than it's probably driven before.
+ how accurate is the speedo/trip counter  ?......I'll have to work out what speed I should be doing at 3,000 reves in O/D.
I did work it out once but have since changed from 165x80 tyre to 175x70 tires which make about an inch shorter in diameter.
Plugs were a light brown hich I checked at Lands End.  And suspect it may run a little lean at high speed. AAQ needles fitted.