Paintless dent removal - recommendations?

Edward Pinnegar

Hi all, my first post on the forum as a new GT6 owner (1972 Mk III).

Unfortunately my car was reversed into in London recently, leaving a reasonable dent in the driver's side door. The driver did not, of course, leave a note. I am advised by my insurers that they would pay out but would then not insure me again next year.

I've been advised that it should be reparable by a decent paintless dent remover and am looking for any recommendations in London/Herts, Sussex, Kent or Surrey?

There are a couple of almost invisible marks where the paint could do with touching up so any recommendations for decent detailers would also be great. As ever the balance of good quality, knowledge of classics (as far as I can see GT6 is made of thicker steel than a modern) and cost-effectiveness would be ideal - but of course one cannot have something for nothing. In the longer term I will look at re-skinning the door but am interested in seeing how much is reparable at this stage.

Thanks for any recommendations in advance!

Hi Tony, will post photos later this evening although in my opinion they make the dent look a bit more dramatic than it actually is. I am with Aegis through Footman James but have a speeding conviction, am relatively young and don't live in a rural area most of the time... so one can see why they might not want to touch someone again in that situation who has made a claim within a couple of months of taking out a policy...

• Like 1

Worth shopping around with brokers come renewal....

Bear in mind the cars value, it may be cost effective to get the door fixed properly unless the dent can come out easily. 

Try a search for "smart repairs". I had the scuffed corner of the bumper on a modern sorted, £150 all in which wasn't too bad. Paintless dent removal for a small dent seemed to be about £75 upwards. This is all in Brighton, so prices similar to where you are asking.

But a picture would certainly help.

2 hours ago, Edward Pinnegar said:

Hi Tony, will post photos later this evening although in my opinion they make the dent look a bit more dramatic than it actually is. I am with Aegis through Footman James but have a speeding conviction, am relatively young and don't live in a rural area most of the time... so one can see why they might not want to touch someone again in that situation who has made a claim within a couple of months of taking out a policy...

I see what you mean Edward, still a bit naughty saying they wont insure you. Are you using it for commuting?    Look forward to seeing the photo's. Have you tried Tried Peter James, as Tony and Clive say worth shopping around.

Alf.

Edited by Scrappy

Call term back and ask for clarification about what they've said. If they repeat it, ask for confirmation of the facts by email. You're entitled to record the conversion as well and I'd suggest you do this from the start.

Then use their responses to inform the insurance ombudsman that they are heavily discouraging you to use what you are paying for. They are aware you need to claim and are saying you will be penalised if you do. Whether you do or not you claim, you are still in a position where they are aware you need to so are stating they will penalise you for needing to use the services you have paid for. It doesn't matter whether or not you use them now as the facts remain - they will record that you need them and they are saying no to helping. Remember that this is also not your accident, but a failure from someone else to remain at a RTC which happened when you were not in attendance and are now financially impacted in a negative way. Plus this new stress.

When you are reporting them, make them aware. Expect them to go into major bum clinching mode and bend over to help, but still screw you over. Report them anyway. The way they are behaving (from what you've stated) is unacceptable.

Edited by ferny

H Edward,

where were you parked.  Most supermarket areas have CCTV as do many roads.

Go back to the scene of the issue and see if you can see any caneras.

Council cameras have serial numbers on them so they can be interagated via the council. Your insurer should have come up with this one.

Roger

The insurance co would be the last persons I would go to for help in finding a repairer.  I would source one myself based on experience or reccomendation.  All the big names in the insurance business are incestuously linked with body shops, salvage yards and auction houses - with the aim of maximising their profits as opposed to doing the best for you!

As others have said, if your follow up cannot identify the culprit, then get a coupke of quotes from smart repairers but don't rule out body shops with exerience of classic cars either - the products used by smart repairers tend to be from the cheaper end of the spectrum and they will carry out a quick job outside, whereas a decent body shop will use better quality products ans a paint booth. 

• 1 month later...