Recovery and Breakdown,10CR experiences

On previous events and other continental drives, having the back up and assistance of other entrant/drivers can be mind relieving when it comes to even a minor breakdown.
The rule being, if you breakdown the first thing to do is lift the bonnet up to attract any other passing driver for assistance .
You may want to ring someone, but your phone battery may be flat or not able to get a signal.Something as simple as that can then get you in a panic in the middle of the night on top of the alpine passes

In past events we have had the simplest of things go wrong and experienced friends who have had major things go wrong.
Having a spares list is in some experiences, is like clinging to a bible on a sinking ship...........it gives that bit of comfort

One such instance............glass fuses.Who on the continent stocks glass fuses? Only those that are carried in another like minded drivers kit
Stick the bonnet up and hey presto a Stag comes around the corner and you are in luck as they are carrying those fuses

The other end of the scale is when you need the spares , that someone may be carrying, and you may not know of them.

That is when you then become fodder for the famed continental recovery

We have known drivers/crew that if had they had access to spares, they would have been on the way within hours.
Instead the car/s took three weeks to get home, with the crews having to rent cars/travel by rail or air whilst leaving the car in the hands of a `devout` classic loving continental mechanic.

Don`t forget , members, gone are the days when the `Knights of the Road` who used to stand and salute you are gone

I know what spares I`m taking ...............

Good points Mike...sometimes the simple things catch you out.

We codged a USB charger fuse thet blew with a bit of foil from my ciggy packet....i know it bad to smoke but it got us out of a pickle... ;D

Bobbyspit's spares list comes to mind , get yours in to him...you just never know..! ;)

When we lost our windscreen last time, Out came the spares list with phone number, Dale had the Triumph Temp Windscreen!  Called and he waited for us to catch up with him.  Less the 10mins we were on our way.  The visibility wasn't great, but it worked and kept us wind free and dry.  I hope to have it with us again just in case.   I highly recommend extra fuse's at least for your cig lighter, Sat/Nav, phone charger and the like.  I insist we carry them.  

ferny wrote:
Make sure your phone can be used outside the UK! ...

That's no guarantee for success.
When I broke down on the Timmesljoch during the 2011 10CR I found out that the restaurant @ the top didn't have a phone  ::)
And there was almost no mobile signal  :o

B.t.w. who's going to take a spare TR7 propshaft with him  ;D