The first British closed road rally

Jonny-Jimbo

I have known about this fora while, the MSA accidentally let the cat out of the bag earlier this year.

Is being used as a test by the MSA to see if it can be made to happen in England.

You would believe the opposition from the locals! Well all bar 2!

They will be looking for lots of Marshalls if anyone is interested.

Quoted from thescrapman

Is being used as a test by the MSA to see if it can be made to happen in England.

You would believe the opposition from the locals! Well all bar 2!

Sadly I would (misprint excepted) as I lost my faith in the 'general public' around the time I realised that common sense had suffered an extinction level event. Let's just hope that the NIMBYs all have heart failure or suffer a cocoa overdose that night!

When I was up at the Phil Price rally school two weeks ago he said there used to be a local school teacher that would go and stand in the middle of the stage, on the track,  which meant that the whole stage had to be cancelled, and that was in a woodland miles away from anywhere.

It doesn't surprise me that locals get all funny about it - I think a lot of people don't realise the potential benefits that the sport can bring to the locals, even if it does mean a road near them is closed for half a day.

I'm not sure how the Mercian Road Rally (the one that me and Steve Raddley did) managed to be successful, as that went very close to some properties.

What surprises me is that the locals are very keen on the Tour of Britain cycle race coming through this area, which causes just as much, if not more, road closures and general disruption.  I suppose it's the implied noise/speed/anti-social hooliganism thing that they associate with "racing" cars on the public roads that automatically sets them against it, without wanting to hear of the many benefits to the local area in terms of income and tourism.

Ignorance of what is involved in one of these events does not help. Colin will tell you of some of the comments/questions that were made by locals at council meetings...  "Will the Police be out using speed guns and prosecuting those who break the speed limits?"  "What will happen if I'm riding my horse down the road and one of these rally cars comes speeding past?", etc.

It was asked why small quiet narrow lanes were being used, would it not be better to use the main roads!

Why was it being done when birds were nesting?

It did finally get onto discussing ways of sabotaging the event. Dumped trailers and combines were suggested, as was spraying shit over the roads.

• 2 months later...

This is great news for the sport and just rolling back to what was common place before 1988.
At which point road rallying was really popular and went downhill following the 1988 legislation. One of the stipulation made by the Police at that time was to also remove all advertising from the car to stop commercial sponsorship. The MSA book currently still forbids (roadcrallying) this but im wondering if historic advertising is making a come back.? Slightly off thread but it would enhance in my opinion the historical and cultural interest even in people not directly involved in motor sport. On a number of events Ive been lucky to take part in recently 'puff the magic wagon' has been allowed dispensation to compete the 1970s world cup rally car with Bron one of the original lady team drivers. The car gets loads of interest from the general public especially covered in all the period advertising.

Quoted from Andy Flexney
The question is when is period not period?

What is the difference between old and new Duckhams oil adverts?

So easier to ban all advertising.

AndyF

Andy

I don't think it is actually about advertising with Historic Road rallying, it is more about public perception of what they are seeing.

A stickered up car coming down the road is definatly a rally car and will be a menace to the public, whatever the age.

A Classic car coming down the road is nice to see. You only have to do the East Anglian Classic to witness that, people sit out the front of their houses to watch. No perception at all of them being "rally cars"

And the flexibilty to allow certain cars with stickers is to be welcomed, the Maxi mentioned I would say is clearly in "period costume" to anyone who sees it.

Of course you may well still be a menace to the public if Mr Helm is driving, but that is another matter..