Adrianb

Have just removed the head om my herald 13/60 convertable so I Can check the valves and seating.Out comes the trusty Haines manual Spring crompressor at the ready son in law poised to catch the collets and what I found looked nothing like the diagram! No collets but a disc with two holes next to each other! No problem I phone a man who knows a little he advises me that I have a herald block a spitfire head and spitfire gear box according to the numbers! Is this right.should I have kept my BMW Z4 no I shall persevere but is this the norm for triumph herald spitfire,s.

Yes unfortunately over 50 years or so most of our cars have had modifications away from standard either through necessity or 'upgrades'. It does make sourcing of spares more difficult and everything should be checked first but here we are lucky in that Triumph, unlike some manufacturers, were pretty good at numbering things so at least this gives a chance of getting the right parts....