stuck cylinder head

Tom2000

Right got it off, there were a few washers that were carbonised on so used a needle to free them then the head came off quickly - done :D - my first head of in under 20 mins.

Plan is to send the Ivor Searle unleaded head that i've just taken off the engine with the HGF, send it away for a 10:1 skim, ported and gas flowed with the manifolds - dropping it off tomorrow to get a 10:1 ratio skim, then fit this head to the replacement engine that I am prepping in the garage, which will suit the piper hr 270 cam I am looking at then stick this engine in with the K&Ns, AAU jets, 4-2-1 straight through exhaust and a 205 aluminium radiator I just recieved.

Progress!

plenty of meat between those valves, its only really when you get bigger ones in,
like in the 6 cyls as standard

Tip for you Tom, put a hack saw cut in the top of the head studs, and you cam then use a screw driver
to put them in /out another time/this time.
also doo it on the manifold studs,

rgds  marcus

John, interesting reading, how would I go about measuring the cylinder bore and crank stroke as my engine is running +30 thou overbore so really need to take that into account to get accuracy, I'm waiting to hear back from Ivor Searle on the specifications of the original work.

Archived