GT6 Tailgate holes

Rick60

Hi Guys,

I don't get here that often, mainly because my GT6 doesn't give me any real trouble!

However! I'm in the process of doing some repairs to my tailgate and have a query I'm hoping someone can help me with. After stripping the tailgate and repairing the corners and the inner window flanges, I've noticed two almost perfectly circular holes in the sides of the gate which I'm wondering if they should to be there.

Here's the tailgate:

And this is one of the holes (there's one in exactly the same place on the other side):

Can anyone tell me if they are supposed to be there and if so, what they are ther for?

Many thanks.

Richard.

Quoted from glang-

No expert so all I can think of is theyre for heated rear screen electrical connections. Dont know if they were an option... 

I have a heated screen but sem to recall that the wires for that were tucked under the window seal. Could be wrong though.

Do you have a GT6? Could you take a look at yours?

I have a mk3 Gt6 mine has the same holes also, I have a heated rear screen, and the holes are not used, I suspect they are what we call tooling hole's used in the manufacture of the tail gate, if you sit in the car and look out the front both bottom corners of the windscreen surround have them about 100 mm up 

Quoted from Guppy916-

I have a mk3 Gt6 mine has the same holes also, I have a heated rear screen, and the holes are not used, I suspect they are what we call tooling hole's used in the manufacture of the tail gate, if you sit in the car and look out the front both bottom corners of the windscreen surround have them about 100 mm up 

Hi Guppy,

Many thanks,

I'll just tidy them up then.

Richard.

Interesting. There are no such holes on my GT6 but that may just mean the restorer filled them. They do look to be right where the heated screen terminals are but the wires for that have always run along the rubber from the hinges. But then I've only owned the car for 60% of its life and it had seen some work before that. Guppy's probably right.

Quoted from RobPearce-

Interesting. There are no such holes on my GT6 but that may just mean the restorer filled them. They do look to be right where the heated screen terminals are but the wires for that have always run along the rubber from the hinges. But then I've only owned the car for 60% of its life and it had seen some work before that. Guppy's probably right.

Yeah, thanks Rob. I wonder if perhaps Triumph had originally planned to put the wires inside the tailgate as there are a couple of holes in the frame at the top by the hinges too.