Anyone know what this is please?!

Sienna PI

Whilst trying to trace an oil leak on my PI i took a photo of what seems to be a small rod bent at 90 degrees attached to the block located between the oil pressure relief valve and the oil filter housing,  anyone have any ideas what it is please?

A friend of mine has suggested it's a core plug maybe?!

Cheers!

Yes your blue arrow is part number 121398, i'm looking at part number 116511, all the above list say's is "oil plug", I am thinking is it a blanking plug for drilling the oil ways, i cant see any trace in any of the canley's engine descriptions :- GT6, TR6 , 2000, 2.5, the mystery continues ???? here's a picture of my old block  Number MG 86361, from a 2.5 PI 1969 - 1975

Quoted from Guppy916-

Yes your blue arrow is part number 121398,

No, 121398 is the oil warning light switch which is adjacent to my blue arrow. The tip points lower down, at 116511 which is, as you think, a blanking plug for the oil way drilling.

The mystery object is certainly not anything that was fitted on any 2L engine by the factory. I don't think the 2.5PI engine has anything extra there. On your photo, it would be roughly where the brown rusty smudge is, an inch or so to the right of 116511

After some fore thought I asked a friend and ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what he said makes sense

What is shown in the photo looks suspiciously like the remains of the bulb from a capillary temperature gauge. It might have been knocked in or even glued in as it would normally have been held in place by a screwed collar (There might be compression fit bulbs around with a olive). I don’t think it was original to the block and someone has drilled the oil gallery. They might have wanted to run an oil pressure/temperature gauge set up. The port for the Oil pressure gauge is next to it. I run a temp/pressure gauge on my white TR6 but used an existing tapping.

Object seems to be directly over the oil passage feed to the oil filter, so it would be a fairly logical place for an oil temperature sensor - but a strange way to do it.

There's a perfectly good threaded plug a little upstream that works fine and needs no drilling.

Looks like it's been there a while and will hopefully stay put.  Probably a scab that is best left unpicked......

Nick

Quoted from Guppy916-

After some fore thought I asked a friend and ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what he said makes sense

What is shown in the photo looks suspiciously like the remains of the bulb from a capillary temperature gauge. It might have been knocked in or even glued in as it would normally have been held in place by a screwed collar (There might be compression fit bulbs around with a olive). I don’t think it was original to the block and someone has drilled the oil gallery. They might have wanted to run an oil pressure/temperature gauge set up. The port for the Oil pressure gauge is next to it. I run a temp/pressure gauge on my white TR6 but used an existing tapping.

Thanks for your input George G!

It does look like an afterthought from someone other than the factory.  

Quoted from Nick Jones-

Object seems to be directly over the oil passage feed to the oil filter, so it would be a fairly logical place for an oil temperature sensor - but a strange way to do it.

There's a perfectly good threaded plug a little upstream that works fine and needs no drilling.

Looks like it's been there a while and will hopefully stay put.  Probably a scab that is best left unpicked......

Nick

Hi Nick!

Yep! If my facts are correct, I've been using this engine since 1996 and it's definitely one scab I'm happy to leave well alone!