GT6 HS6 SU Carbs / HIF 44

tiggrr1

I have recently got a 2500 engine without injection or inlet manifold and carbs and I was thinking of fitting it with hs6 su carbs.

I am aware that I need the dolomite sprint type of su with the lower dashpots for bonnet clerance.

Does anyone know if the TR7 carbs the same type.

Also any info regarding the best inlet manifold to use.

Thanks for any info.

TR7 have tall dashpots. The only manifold that will fit without modification (ie SERIOUS modification) is the std GT6/vitesse one. It will still require porting out to suit the larger carbs (easy with a drill and a rasp type drill thingy) and either adapter plates, elongate the carb mounting holes or fill/redrill the manifold to suit the different stud spacing.
BTW Dolly sprint needles are a very good starting place for a 2.5
Some sort of bracket for the linkage is easily made.

Clive

Thanks Clive.

Just what i needed to know, saves me wasting time looking at TR7 carbs.

Thanks also for the manifold info, I'll see if I can pick up a spare one to work with.

I'm hoping to get all the bits together first and then swap the engine over so my GT6 is off the road for the shortest possible time.

Steve.

Again thanks for the info.

Does anyone know if these adapter plates are still available, if so where from.

I can't find them on the Moss/TT website, though I only had a quick look because it's not the easiest site to use.

Steve.

TT did do them. But they are nothing special. I redrilled my manifold after filling the old tappings with a bit of threaded ali. The new tappings are partially in the old holes if that makes sense.
I prefer the install without the plates, neater and miles cheaper.

Clive

Neater and MILES cheaper. The TT items I bought were utter rubbish- took them back for refund. Save your money and elongate the carb mounting holes with a rat tail file- super easy to do and align onto manifold. Then just take off the piston chamber and piston and you can then easy-peesy scribe through the carb oriface on the manifold to see how much and where you need to remove the excess for your porting 8).

Has anyone tried removing any of the excess alloy inside the inlet manifold that shrouds inlets 2 and 5 very badly, Is it possible to open them up for better gas flow.

It seems to me that they must be very badly restricted compared to the others.

If I'm fitting Dolly carbs then this should be a good move too?

I was using my hoover the other day (in the garage of course ;) ) & thought if you put the hoover tube on the carb end of the manifold you could use a carb balancer on the head ends to check if the manifold was flowing evenly.
Stupid idea or d'you think it might work?

Might work.....worth a try. Chris witor has some info on manifolds. I think the mk2 manifold is pretty even, but the mk1 isn't and needs work. Which he can do, but at least he does things well, and is an allround good bloke to deal with. Check his website.

I've Taken the plunge and got this pair of HIF44 carbs from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=350064377627&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=022

I hope the trader "su carbs" is none other than  a turner carbs as most people seem to hold him in high regard ;)

I know there is a possibility that I'll have bonnet clearance problems but I'll find a way to make them fit. I decided to take the plunge after reading on the TSSC archives that someone had fitted them to a MKII gt6.

Anyone here know who did it? ;D

Well done- a top purchase indeed! What are the carbs off (i.e. what's the tag id on the carbs?).
I have the HIF38's on my car, they are marvellous bits of kit 8).
I have a friend with twin HIF44's and his GT6/Spitfire goes like #### of a shovel!
However, he has done lots to it, moved the engine back in the chassis and done loads of work to the manifold. But, I reckon you should be able to achieve the desired result with the usual Dolly Sprint trick- ask Andrew Turner, he's probebly got some Dolly Sprint dashpots and pistons.

I'll let you know what the tag id is when the carbs get to me (possibly thursday or friday) ;D

They are supposed to be for a rover SD1 2000 so I'm hoping the jetting will be pretty close to start with. 8)

Firstly I intend to fit them to my gt6 which is fairly standard to get any issues sorted out (linkages/clearance etc) , then longer term I have a 2500 engine to fit also using these carbs.

Steve

You may remember my thread last December called "SU Carb's for GT6 Mk2". I swapped some spare parts for a pair of HIF6's with tag FZX1219F and FZX1219R.  These are 1.75" carb's and may or may not be too tall for the bonnet but I won't know until I finish trhe restoration a bit more!

Whose Andrew Turner?   Can he supply adapators and manifolds that are already ported out/modified to fit a 2.5PI engine? Can he shorten the dashpots and dampers for me?

GT6Boy - are HIF6's as good HIF44's or HS6's?  You seem to like the HIF types of carb.   If HIF6's are only average kit, would I be better to source some genuine short dashpot Dolly Sprint HS6's?

Many thanks.

Nick J.

Archived