Positive or Negative Earth - Confusing Engine

artificial_perfect

Hi,

Now starting my renovation of the 2000 after it has sat in the garage for 2 years since being unloaded off the trailer. Confused by the engine set up.

Engine number MB68528HE. Should be negative earth by engine number, as it is a 1967 car. However it appears to have a Lucas dynamo. The identification marks on the unit are Lucas C40L 22766F 04 69 12V.

I have attached some photos of the sections within the engine bay.

Would it be a positive earth set up ?

Karl.

Quoted from nang-

generator is normally + ve earth.

No, wrong. That's the false assumption the OP is making. Dynamos were fitted with both +ve and -ve earth systems, and can be converted between them very easily. A 1967 car should be -ve earth with a dynamo.

If the car is in the condition it looks like, and unless you know of any non-original electrical equipment fitted, then just rebuild it correctly for negative earth. Make sure the ignition switch feed to the coil is on the "+" terminal, check that the battery terminals are the right way round, and re-polarise the dynamo by briefly connecting a battery across it a few times - Google will find you proper detailed instructions.

You've got me wondering now as the old lead connectors look the same but Ive never checked the diameters of their openings and of course never tried to connect each to the wrong terminal! They certainly fit ok on the terminals and as you say standard terminals are different in size so I'll have to have a measure up...

Are yours the closed ones with a screw through the middle, then, rather than the clamp type? I've had a couple of cars with one of those but, I think, always only the ground one, so I've never looked at them that closely. However, I think they're intended to sit snugly on the taper of the post over the full height, so I'd expect them to have to be different sizes, too.

yes thats it and theyre both made of lead and look exactly the same when viewed from on top. Think youre right about them having different size sockets as even with the screw done up they would rotate otherwise. Cant measure them at the moment as away from the car😪

Quoted from Philat32-

Am I too daft to think that the clamps are marked with a '+' or a '-' ?

No, that would make it WAAAYYY too easy!  😁

Actually, you do sometimes see the after-market ones marked that way but mostly you just have to notice that the +ve is bigger.