Spitfire M2 Quiet Exhaust System Options

Alanivanhoe

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at replacing my current single bean can system on my Spitfire Mk2 which is way too noisy and I’ve upset the neighbours enough now! Can anyone recommend a twin silencer system that allows me to keep friendly with the neighbours but still has a nice tone to it? Erring on the side of quieter rather than a sports system is really where I want to go with it.  Thanks very much in advance looking forward to lots of advice! 

Hi, have you got the mid main silencer installed in your current system or just a straight through link pipe? This would make quite a difference and be a cheaper fix than twin back boxes which Ive never thought of as a means of making things quieter...

Hi, thanks for the reply. There is a “kind of” mid silencer but it looks really small. This leads to another very small / can sized silencer at the rear. I’m hoping for some advice as I don’t want to invest in a good looking system (single or twin) but find it’s still noisy. It may be that a single pipe system with “proper” silencers would be ok but I don’t have experience of anything other than the system that came on the car. Has anyone had a similar quest or been satisfied with a particular system that they’ve bought? Thanks. 

I think, glang, that Alan's saying he's only got one box - no centre box - and that he wants a system with both, like you suggest. I don't think he was ever deluded into thinking a wheelbarrow system would be any help!

The original Mk2 exhaust is quite rorty because both boxes are un-baffled straight-through types. However, it's not offensive if in good condition and with both silencers present. The problem is that a lot of the exhaust systems available - especially the stainless ones - omit that centre silencer.

Thats funny I take both answers the opposite way😂 Theres mid and back boxes but theyre small so its probably the usual MK2 system but we dont know if its stainless (noiser because thinner metal can be used) or a sports system.

As were agreed a twin back box system wont help I think the choices are:

Mild steel system, stainless standard system or, if it'll fit, use a MK3/4 backbox as they look beefier... 

I Quoted from glang-

Thats funny I take both answers the opposite way😂 Theres mid and back boxes but theyre small so its probably the usual MK2 system but we dont know if its stainless (noiser because thinner metal can be used) or a sports system.

Mild steel system, stainless standard system or, if it'll fit, use a MK3/4 backbox as they look beefier... 

Quoted from glang-

I definitely do have two boxes, one in the mid section and one almost at the end but they seem very small and this, coupled with the loud effect had got me thinking...maybe a twin system (larger silencers) but it sounds like I’m over compensating a bit. Maybe a regular Mk2 system (non twin pipe) would do the trick. Do I sense a lack of enthusiasm for twin systems?

Apart from the looks (wheelbarrow handles😁) they have a reputation of being louder as thats usually what the twin system buyer wants. Yours could still be a sports system even with two boxes (see Rimmers site) but maybe you need their standard system which is also available in stainless...

Quoted from glang-

Thats funny I take both answers the opposite way😂

Well, in my defence, I posted my answer to your comment before Alan's response showed up.

As glang says, the wheelbarrow systems are normally loud because that's their target market, but even without that there's no reason to think that adding a second source of noise would ever make it quieter! Multiple silencers in series along a single pipe is always going to be the option for quiet. The Mk3 rear box is a baffle type, which are generally quieter than the straight-through type of the Mk2 but the difference is mostly in the spitting end of the spectrum, for which the tubular manifold actually helps a bit.

Well, I do have some experience of a Mk2 with standard exhaust (my brother's first car)... but it was a long time ago when I was young and liked a bit of noise. That said, I wasn't a hooligan or boy racer. The Mk2 was certainly louder than the Mk1 Vitesse I drove at the time, but then so is my current Mk1 Vitesse with allegedly standard exhaust. My questionable memory suggests that Mk2 was probably quieter than my 1500 Mk3 with tubular exhaust and Mk1 GT6 single-box system.