Plug gap for electronic ignition

TR7th Heaven

Hi,

I've just fitted an Accuspark electronic ignition system (module/coil/leads/cap/rotor arm) but there's nothing about enlarging the plug gap in their instructions.

The standard plug gap for points is 25 thou. Is there any advantage in enlarging the gap with the Accuspark system?

I ask because I've heard some people increase the gap with Luminition etc

Thanks

I'd stick with the standard gap. There's very little benefit to increasing it. In fact, doing so means you need more voltage from the coil to get any spark at all, so unless you're sure the Accuspark coil and cap/rotor are uprated then it's only likely to cause trouble.

I understand you want to take advantage of the possible higher voltage that can be generated by electronic ignition but opening the plug gap can, as already said, put extra stress on the HT components of the system plus reduce the duration of the spark. The longer spark time with electronic ignition also promotes improved combustion but this can be reduced if waiting for the voltage to rise suff¡ciently to jump a bigger gap....