Engine side panels

Davemate

Whilst mucking about with my carbs I am finding that the side panels are becoming a right pain due to the airbox and trying to get to the jets.I don't have any cooling problems at the moment. Will it do any harm if I remove the panels and fit spitfire rad support rods instead.
I know it's a good thing to have panels in front of the rad but are they essential behind it.

The Spitfire stays will only locate the top of the radiator, so you will need to fabricate some form of mounting at the bottom.

Heralds are pretty good from a cooling perspective, but then there aren't many which lack the side valances to test theories on that front. The side valances prevent mud and water getting thrown up the sides of the engine, which is as good a reason as any I can think of for keeping them.

Cheers,
Bill.

AS Bill says, the purpose of the panels is to keep road muck out of the engine.  I'ev done with out them throrugh three Vitesses, with no probs.  Here's a pic of SofS in its pre-Pi stage with no panel and a fabricated radiator stay.
John

Archived