What is the best track Triumph?

trackerjack

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an idea:

The whole Triumph comunity world far does donor 50¤ each.
With this money we build up a 450 HP TR 8 find 3 or 4 good Triumph drivers (Chris Conolly, Joe Henderson, Neil Howe....) and run the car at the 24 H at the Nurburgring....

;-)

Well folks I still have a photo and I saw the Janspeed TR7 when it came down to Goodwood at aTR Register meeting. (600 BHP)
Is that Bob Tullius name on the car?
As for choosing a driver I can think of a few more.
We would have to also buy a cheap "qualifying car" chosen by majority vote and then the fastest drivers of this car get to use the V8 now now gentlemen no elbows and eye gouging! :D :D

Quoted from trackerjack Well folks I still have a photo and I saw the Janspeed TR7 when it came down to Goodwood at aTR Register meeting. (600 BHP)
Is that Bob Tullius name on the car?
As for choosing a driver I can think of a few more.
We would have to also buy a cheap "qualifying car" chosen by majority vote and then the fastest drivers of this car get to use the V8 now now gentlemen no elbows and eye gouging! :D :D

Yep...it's Bob Tullius car.
The 600 BHP TR 7  is that the one never made it at Le Mans? Wouldn't like to choose that, it doesn't look as good as the US version and it wasn't that good as the US TR 7.

When I listed the drivers I kept my mind on speed and knowledge of the Nordschleife.
Conolly and Howe are Nordschleife drivers. Joe Henderson can adopt fast I think if he hasn't been on that track before.

I'm not scared of NRBRG, but TR8 are known for VAST gobs of understeer...

Such a thing at Nordschleife is not funny, it would be like driving a Porsche!

HATE understeer!

I knew a driver at Gaydon who tested them and they were so bad and gave so little warning they used to lose one in a hedge practically every shift

Quoted from davesideways Was a bit slippery at Briedschreid that day :)

I to was having a great ammount of difficulty finding any traction at all :)

so we found driver #4 ..... team is complete...!

I just want to mention:
Ther was the Tasmanian rallye  years ago where a TR 8 was taking part and done lovely drifts ..... I recognized a complete lack of understeer.

Always the same,- back end on the floor, front a mile in the air, steering being swung around wildly on the limits of massive castor with crazy camber angles.
Sounds like the thing is understeering sure enough.
Just run the video and your feelings backwards and remember when the steering went horribly "light" somewhere about 50m before those pics were taken.

Just cos the rear wheels on a shopping trolley are stuck facing forward, still doesn't mean if you lift the front ones it's not going forwards and sideways!

Always the same,- back end on the floor, front a mile in the air, steering being swung around wildly on the limits of massive castor with crazy camber angles.
Sounds like the thing is understeering sure enough.
Just run the video and your feelings backwards and remember when the steering went horribly "light" somewhere about 50m before those pics were taken.

Just cos the rear wheels on a shopping trolley are stuck facing forward, still doesn't mean if you lift the front ones it's not going forwards and sideways!

Well, if I were in that car where he was, I wouldn't be braking.
I would have my clog hard down in the front head light, and I don't think I would be in that part of the Apex!!
For me the word "normal" and "corner" don't really mix I'm afraid, but I have crashed a Triumph at the ring and lived to tell the tale!

(a little story about concrete brakes and a very long walk before the invention of the mobile phone!)

Well, if I were in that car where he was, I wouldn't be braking.
I would have my clog hard down in the front head light, and I don't think I would be in that part of the Apex!!
For me the word "normal" and "corner" don't really mix I'm afraid, but I have crashed a Triumph at the ring and lived to tell the tale!

(a little story about concrete brakes and a very long walk before the invention of the mobile phone!)

Quoted from GTEVO Well, if I were in that car where he was, I wouldn't be braking.

Okay...the TR 7 should be 2m more on the right side and where the car is on the photo there is a lot of throttle needed to head for Ex-Muehle...braking was before...

Quoted from trackerjack Group 44's TR7 has huge rear wheels as is the norm with a rear driver.
If the car had a tendency for understeer they would not have it that way.
Conclusion must be the car like all cars with live axle oversteers...........why wouldn't it?

They had a track test with that car and found it very controlable and easy to drive with that huge power.

As I was in the car as a passenger at that time I can tell there was no understeer at all when we entered the lefthander into Breidscheid. It was just the backend that stepped out because of the very slippery surface. Just a couple of seconds before the first picture was taken we were on a 90 degrees angle to the track and I thought we would end up backwards into the concrete wall. The driver managed to get the car pointing in the correct direction again by using the throttle. (and stay cool  8) )

Think it all happened because he steered in a little to early into the lefthander. Maybe still a little on the brakes.. dunno. The guy is a very experienced Ring driver and he knows the track very well. But as you can see, it can happen to anyone. And we weren't going fast at all, it was just very very slippery!

In the first half of this lap when the track was dry he really pushed it, can't remember we had any understeer. It was oversteering in many corners (T13, Hatzenbach, Aremberg, Metzgefeld) From there the track was soaking wet and it became all very interesting!    ;D

Quoted from GTRoger
Think it all happened because he steered in a little to early into the lefthander. Maybe still a little on the brakes.. dunno. The guy is a very experienced Ring driver and he knows the track very well. ....

The lefthander at Breitscheid IS an early enter curve. It looks tight but opens widely.
I assume the big wheels of the gr. 44 TR 7 would have helped him  ;D

Okay TR4 that is a brilliant picture, it conjures up my past as the first Triumph I owned was a TR4 I paid £400 for it in 77 and had it when I met the wife we drove up as far as Loch Ness and as far south as Venice, we also used it for sprints and hillclimbs until I bought a 5 for £1300 in 80!!!
Never remember getting all four off the ground like that though.

No sign of understeer on those Sprints Mr Canley

Archived