What is the best track Triumph?

trackerjack

How good is an Acclaim as a track car? has anyone tried?its got the right ingredients, just put it on a diet.
I have never felt the urge to drive one even!

Does any one know of a pale blue V8 Herald/Vitesse that paid a visit to Castle Combe a few years back...........it looked quick.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quoted from TR4

Road test:

While we haven't driven every machine that was campaigned by
the team, and one can argue as many Triumph enthusiasts do that
the TR8 was not a  real  Triumph, at least in the traditional sense,
we found the TR8 to be a very real car. In addition to a true unibody
design and a lightweight aluminum V8 engine, the TR8 had something
most other Triumphs lack: modern design, which results in at least a
moderately aerodynamic shape.
That said, the TR8 is also infamous, at least in stock form, for its
short wheelbase, small wheels and wheel openings, and distinct lack of
adequate brakes. Couple that short wheelbase with V8 power, and one
would assume the car to be a handful. What if the horsepower knob
were turned past 400, as in the case of the Group 44 Inc. car?
The team car certainly has bags of power, but it's far from evil. In
fact, the Group 44 Inc. TR8, which is now owned by Amelia Island
Concours founder Bill Warner, is one of the nicest vintage race cars we
have ever driven.
It's comfortable and confidence inspiring, and the torquey TR8
is a hoot. Turn-in is crisp, the highly modified brakes are more than
up to the task, and the seating position is comfortable. The overall
ergonomics are more like what one would find on a modern race car
instead of one from the late '70s.
Despite the short wheelbase, the car is not twitchy; oversteer is
available, but not prevalent. At VIR's twisty, world-class race track, the
TR8 is a joyous beast to drive.

Before I start, I will admit I am a big wuss and not actually done a track day - chucked the odd car around a deserted cornish air field, but that's all.

Like road cars - it all depends on what you want. If you need huge power to blast up long straights you want something completely different to a light darty thing on a twisty circuit.    I find my TR6 pretty cumbersome on the hairpins in comparison to my old Spitties, but obviously way quicker up long hills.

One other thing, do you want to be faster than the other people on the track or just FEEL like you are faster? Racing is one thing, but if you just want a huge grin and plenty of opposite lock, you don't need much grip. My Mk 3 Spit gave me great laughs at pretty low speeds, and felt like it was fast while being overtaken by Astra  vans!

Must summon up the courage to take the TR onto a track one day though

Quoted from gilesdive

Must summon up the courage to take the TR onto a track one day though

Giles
I have used TR's both four pot and six for hillclimbs and sprints and with a few light mods they are brilliant fun. Before you do check the condition of the front wishbones where they connect to the lower chassis..............as they break off after cracking from the bolt holes! this damage applies to road as well. The track will find faults faster. ;)

Jon

Back on track now;-

-must be a 4 cylinder with 4 valves per cylinder-
Scary, weird, evil handling, all the warts and wrinkles, but when TRULY sorted,
VERY fast.
Everyone I met tells me they are VERY scary to drive fast,- so as I like "black runs on the slide" and "brown passenger trousers" then I would vote the Sprint or Bullet as the SCARIEST, "on the limit" animal, well beyond the scary Vitesse.

I followed one years back at Snetterton, and while I struggled with the "Auto" opening doors on the earlier Vitesse 2.0i manifestation,- then he left me for dead down the back straight. ??) :o

Quoted from GTEVO ;D ;D ;D
Grief!
Lucky we have this forum in January or life could be grim!
:)

Did Mansell's definition of "nervous" include racing Alesi wheel to wheel in the rain, then falling about laughing on the podium after?
Didn't he always drive the wheels off his motors, nervous or not?

You know when Mansell first appeared in F1 I could not understand him, he could have won a lot more races and I used to watch as when he was leading by a mile he would still go for fastest lap, and I thought what a prat as he crashed or broke his car.
Then I started to appreciate his attitude to racing and became a fan.
I never rated Senna as a racing god, one of the best in his day certainly.............Mansell seemed to have the idea that anyone  was there to be beaten.............thats champion talk.
Todays crop are just too boring, and we desparately need some more characters to replace the robots.
Champions are not often liked.
Irvine was the last "character".

I was never a fan of Mansell. I cannot remember what year it was, but it was a Monaco GP. He could'nt overtake Senna, but made a couple of bogus faints to overtake and of course came second. Anyrate I think he did come over all weak or collapse when collecting his award. I just thought he was a clown.

Compare him to Stewart or Clark- they were the masters for me- all about precision and just getting on with the job. Still I suppose F1 was simpler in their days, none of the bulls*it we see nowadays.

Must agrre with Jon though, it would be nice ot see some more characters in the sport at present. Can one call F1 a sport?

Anyrate back to track Triumphs- I still reckon its gotts be a lightweight Spittie.

Archived