Goodwood 5/11/07?

trackerjack

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

jcarruthers wrote:
What's the spec of the engine Paul?

Always happy to share technical info...

Its bored to +60 running JP pistons (not much different to the county piston really, apart from the price! but they do use a lower friction oil ring), head is an old Moss stage 2 with a little work by myself. The cam was by Kent Cams I think, it is listed as a Spit 4 cyl profile, but I had heard someone had tried it on a 6 and it had been good. I wanted the car to be both drivable in normal traffic and fast on the track. Standard crank, con rods and flywheel lightened and ballanced by a great machinist in Watford, whose name I have forgotten at the min. Uprated oil pump, oil cooler and the PI. Not many mods really, I was building with plenty of time but a limited budget. Goes to show how good the original Triumph parts are. I was hoping to pull 7000 revs with it but at the min its topping out just after 6, maybe when I ballance the throttles properly and get it on the rolling road it will improve. No idea of the BHP...150 or more??

Rear end is standard MkIV long drive shaft with a lowered stiffened swing spring, (which is much lighter and works better than rotoflex in my opinion) but it is known to be weak, which scares me in the corners.

SpitBang wrote:
Hi Paul, thanks for a bit of info on your car. As part of a full restoration I am moving the engine back in my GT6, keeping the 2 litre, but going PI.
Steve

Are you fitting overdrive? Much bigger job if you do. Tunnel is the real pain, I got a great pannel beater friend to make me a steel one, keeps out the heat and fumes great, but is a big job to make.

same here, should be starting work on it soon! any advice and pics etc you ave would be most appreciative, my email should be down below somewhere. again keeping with the 2L PI and possibly going EFI route too and then building up a MAD 2.2l to go in it!

Here are some videos of me and some of you at Goodwood.  What a fantastic day it was too. :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8FAkGk4shQk

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mio_ffVWi8A

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=1R0T8c0Kpjo

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=FDY18SvqGmc

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Un2c_6FczVI

Diane  :)

Jony5 wrote:
and yes ill be fitting overdrive i think, what gearbox did you use again sorry? iv heard gt6/1850 box with OD isnt too bad but saloon box with OD is a very big job! if only i could find a miniture 5 speed.......lol

I used a late GT6 non overdrive box, its strong and tiny compared with overdrive units and fits without much chassis mods. Obviously there was still a lot work on the bulk head to get the bell housing in. Dave used a saloon overdrive box which is huge and required lots of chassis and floor pan work. Yes, a tiny 5 speed would be nice, Spridget make a Sierra 5 speed kit but its not small!

I drilled the spot rivets out on the whole handbrake assembly and moved the whole lot back. Means you can get the tunnel in and out but you need to get a new cable made up. I reommend putting a big hole (Sunbeam Alpine style) in the tunnel with a rubber bunge so you can top up the gearbox oil, there is no way you will get to it from below. You have to chop the gear linkage extension down too, I rewelded mine with Oxy Accetaline and a ally rod, which was fun. Exhaust took a lot of fiddling as well, I think Dave favours taking a bit out of the sump these days.

With the PI system I mounted my preasure relief valve on the front bulkhead, in retrospect it is better rubber mounted closer to the tank (they are noisy when short of fuel). The main fuel line has to be special high preasure pipe, industrial hyraulic hose companys can make them. Obviously the prop needs to be properly shortened too, think there are higher spec UJs available (used on Land Rovers??) if you are getting into serious power. My fuel tank is a problem, later spit tanks draw from the top and it means if I go round a corner with less than half a tank the PI cuts out, that was my fuel prob at Goodwood! Needs a swirl pot. Found a company making ally tanks for £500 odd but its a bit much.

EFI is a good idea although of course not in keeping with the period (if that bothers you). Fitted an Emerald system to a K series Midget once which worked ok in the end. Dave Picton has put together a system using modified Triumph PI castings which looks nice. Never set one up myself tho. The problem with the inlet equipment is the closeness of the brake master cylinder, its very tight. No chance of tripple carbs fitting :'(

Final thing is think about fitting racing vertical links to the front suspention. I've had four standard ones fail on me. Although you do have to stip the whole lot down to oil them (Dave has made trunions with greese nipples in the bottom, but I don't know how well they work- would think the oil might drip back out).

Hope that is of some help, I'm a bit rusty, my life is all beer barrels rather than cars these days.  ;D

nice bit of info there ;) specialy about the fuel surge problems :) had that at donno park, and soon rectified it before i went to mallory around gerrards! easy to see at the start of this vid.......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-6TJPe1pE4
drives past me in his westy like iv stopped with car following and all of a sudden i get petrol back and fly back into action :D

fitted an external swirl pot ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALLOY-FUEL-SWIRL-POT-KIT-CAR-RACE-RALLY_W0QQitemZ180177401167QQihZ008QQcategoryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ) very good quality and solved it a treat, i can actualy run for about 20mins or more just on the swirl pot :D although i plan on making up a tank with an inbuilt one which is also bigger as a tankful doesnt last long........

Vertical links, iv already had one fail so plan on fitting canleys trunnionless ones when i get round to it.

interesting info about your handbrake mods etc, i think ill be going with an 1850OD system as i will still use it on the roads plenty with a higher diff as i have a killer 3.27 which is great for motorways but kills it on the track! altho tempted to go saloon with the 3.27 no OD, as then youll gain the power from losing the OD too. so many choices!

Coo interesting info on you Spitty types, you sound like a brave lot not knowing when your suspension is going to break ::)

I can imagine it now "tally ho chaps swarm spotted up ahead on track, am going in Berty's bought it his rear broke orf.............closing on swarm blast me front upright gorn awol, down to you Paul give those swarm chappies a roasting with your PI"

"Oh no his swirl pots gorn"  ;D

Seriously I bet their great to drive when on song.

Coo interesting info on you Spitty types, you sound like a brave lot not knowing when your suspension is going to break ::)

I can imagine it now "tally ho chaps swarm spotted up ahead on track, am going in Berty's bought it his rear broke orf.............closing on swarm blast me front upright gorn awol, down to you Paul give those swarm chappies a roasting with your PI"

"Oh no his swirl pots gorn"  ;D

Seriously I bet their great to drive when on song.

Jony5 wrote:

fitted an external swirl pot ( http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALLOY-FUEL-SWIRL-POT-KIT-CAR-RACE-RALLY_W0QQitemZ180177401167QQihZ008QQcategoryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem ) very good quality and solved it a treat, i can actualy run for about 20mins or more just on the swirl pot :D although i plan on making up a tank with an inbuilt one which is also bigger as a tankful doesnt last long........

Don't think that would work with the tank I've got because doesn't the swirl pot rely on gravity to fill it? Late spit tanks have the feed coming out top with a long pipe down inside the tank. Good company tho, wonder how much they would charge to make a large capacity baffled ally spit tank. Any one else interested?? we should get a great discount if we order 10!

Paul I run a PI motor in the special I am building (Bosch jetronic)

Some people run an ordinary fuel pump out of the main tank to a secondary tank which has the high pressure taken from it, the return from engine is also fed into this small tank, which has a small take off from the top that puts excess fuel back into main tank, this is a cheap working solution.

davesideways wrote:

Easy to fix.

Run a facet pump from the main tank, this feeds into a smaller anti-surge tank/reserviour, the injection pump feeds from the small tank/reserve...

Even easier to fix - tap a hole in the bottom of the spitty tank - and braze a new outlet - (remember not to have any petrol in the tank!!) if you don't wont to braze a new outlet in - go to a hydrulic hose manufacture an get some 1/2 BSP unions and seals - loop a piece of wire inside the tank with the nut & seal on it through the new hole then put the union/seal on the piece of wire outside the tank and mate the union in the tank - then with the aid of a long handled spanner carefully thread the nut inside - once you've a couple of threads on it then remove the wire and do up as normal

The advantage of this running lucas PI as apposed to an external swirl pot in a Spitty is you have a good head of petrol above the pump which on the track is very important

Anyway done this mod many time and it works

aye forgot about your pipe coming out the top, some clever sod decided to stick mine on the bottom right hand corner so going round a round about killed it when i got low hehe but the swirl pot has been one of the best mods iv done for the simplicity of it, works a treat, would just like it built into the tank as it again fills and cluters up the boot space. plus it makes more pipework!

i may be interested in a tank though ;)

I'm also interested as I find the Spitfire tank rather limiting in range on a 2.5PI.

Ideally I would like a GT6 shaped tank (9 Gallon), but with an inlet to allow the feed to come from the Spitfire filler in the centre of the top panel.

This would also lower the centre of gravity on the car Hmmmmm.

I did have a MkIII tank (bottom feed), but had to change it to a MKIV tank (top feed), this might explain the capacity problems I've been getting. Oh hum another mini project.

Richard_B wrote:

Ideally I would like a GT6 shaped tank (9 Gallon), but with an inlet to allow the feed to come from the Spitfire filler in the centre of the top panel.

This would also lower the centre of gravity on the car Hmmmmm.

If you are going to fit a GT6 tank, why not fit a GT6 filler in the wing and blank the spit hole off? It would lower your centre of gravity but it would also place more weight outside of the axles. Ideally the tank should be behind the seats.

Thanks for all the swirl pot/extra pump advice.

my plan was to copy one of the nottingham lot (dave & shackford creation) which is welding 2 spit tanks together, basicly it made the top bit with the sender just about sit flush with the boot line, dont notice it to start with, given him ALOT more capacity, you could stick a swirl pot in ther whilst you at it and fit the exit at the bottom in the middle, cant beat that i reckon!

• 2 weeks later...

timbancroft61 wrote:
Anyone remember the name of the company taking snaps on the day?

I can't recollect the name of the company taking photos on the day, it was something like "Action Photo" or "Action Art" ...I think ...I've Googled it with no luck.  

I was there for a while and took some snaps.  They're not too good, but there are one or two nice ones …some of the blurred ones are even meant to be that way, honest!  

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20409630@N06/

Regards,

Phil

Archived