Oxford MC Autosolo 26th April

Dale

Roll up Roll up get yer regs here. This is the Bocardo Autosolo run by Oxford MC at Silverstone circuit in Northants (yes THAT one!).
Kevin Belcher, Oxfords Comps Sec has once again very kindly invited Club Triumph (so you don't have to be a member of Oxford MC any other club or association) to participate in this excellent and very well run event.
I am attaching the regs/entry form which should be very self explanatory but if anyone gets stuck with anything please let me know and I will do my best to help.

• 4 weeks later...

The Herald's not fully on form yet and with all the other post HCR issues to sort out this week I couldn't face refitting the close ratio box again, so I don't expect to be over competitive, but I'm sure looking forwards to having a go!  :-)

Good luck to all you 'erberts, miffed I'll have to miss the event (done the last 2 - great fun) but I will think of you whilst writing endless reports, minutes, agendas (agendae?) and all the interesting stuff I have to do on Sunday.             :'(

An eventful days motorsport!

At the end of the last run it looked like the placing were as follows:
1st: Katie Foreman: GT6
2nd Tim Bancroft: GT6
3rd Mike Bishop: Herald
4th: Mike Helm: TR6
5th: Martin Cox: Dolomite

However the final results were announced as follows:
1st: Tim Bancroft: GT6
2nd Katie Foreman: GT6
3rd Mike Bishop: Herald
4th: Mike Helm: TR6
5th: Martin Cox: Dolomite

Katie was docked points on the 3rd test of the day, not sure why, anyway once she has looked through the placings and times in the next couple of days, she may be able to appeal.

All in all a tough days fun, the smooth tarmac of the Silverstone car park was interesting. I was just waiting for the diff to break!

Must be said it was weird at first to see my car being driven hard, however Katie was mechanically sympathetic-super smooth and tidy. A couple of more goes in the car and she would def. have the beating of me.
I managed to make a complete lash up of the morning tests, however in the afternoon, I got into the groove and did good, even managed to beat Nigel Abdullah in his Scooby-blooming pleasing.

The last test, Katie did very well and acheived some fantastic times, putting the pressure onto me and I blew it, the final run of the last test looked to be going well and then I wrong slotted on the second to last cone!!! Doh! With that I thought Katie must beat me and indeed the initial times showed this. However at the prize giving Katie was classified 3rd in the 'Historic' class, me 2nd and a Chap called James in Mini 1st.  Bloody annoying, one mistake and it def. cost me 1st in the 'Historic' Class.

Nice to meet you too Paul, I know you mentioned your triumphs, but it never occured to me that you were on the forum!  Was it you that wrecked the turrets yumping your TR7 on a rally last year?  Small word eh!  

Well pleased with the result - at the end of the morning session, it looked as if I had ended up in 51st place - out of 51!   Never had the Herald on tarmac before, hindsight says I probably should have gone with 155 tyres rather than 175 - at times the car had too much grip, I think progress would have been faster had I been able to slide about more and keep the momentum up!  You were rather good at doing that Paul :-)

All in all a great day, made all the better by the surprise appearance of Doug.  Serves him right for turning up, he'll soon have a new herald to break courtesy of the Essex Triumph Hoovers!

;D  ;D  ;D

Yup that was me Mike, although it was over 2 years ago now I think that happened! I still haven't quite gotten around to scrapping the shell yet..although it is now scheduled to go in a fortnight's time..

Cheers guys, unfortunately it wasn't that quick, but it was certainly fun (if somewhat tiring!).. The LSD is definitely shot though, need to look for a plate-type LSD now..The rear tyres aren't so bad actually for wear, they seem quite hard..part of the reason for the tail-happy antics..need to get some sticky tyres for the back to balance it better, it's just a bit too sideways when it gets a bit quick (never thought I'd say that!)

The Herald did seem nicely balanced from the outside though Mike, getting the back sliding a bit in some places, and I was impressed my both Tim's and Katie's driving in the GT6, looking well pedalled.  Looking at the results it looks as though it might have been Katie's wrong test early on which didn't get picking up in the spreadsheet? They had a few issues with that during the day.

Good fun Solo though, absolutely huge area for a Solo  ;D

Some in car of my first spin... >
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXrzX8uEFq0&feature=channel

Archived